Please could anyone help identify this bird?

• Airliebirddan said:

I have added another close-up photo of the bird, also have it on video, however i seem to be unable to add it to the web page because the file size is too large.

Your photosat the top of this thread have disappeared but are on the other one. Your duplicate threads are creating a bit of confusion.

You should be able to post photos up to 2 meg although smaller is better. Videos are a problem to post because the file size is too large. The best way to show videos is to upload them to a site like YouTube or Flickr and then give the link in the post.

Would love to see them

TJ

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I have seen a bird like this today in the woodlands behind my house which face our local golf course. It had a round but in its beak and was trying to break it against the tree branch! We normally see owls and wood pigeons but I spotted this in a tree as it was so unusual looking. Is it a European roller? When I googled its markings this came up. I live in North Yorkshire.
  • Hi Elliet4

Elliet4 said:
    It had a round but in its beak and was trying to break it against the tree branch

I assume you meant "nut".  It doesn't sound the sort of thing a Roller would do as they mostly eat bugs like grasshoppers and beetles. Have you considered that it might be a Jay? Similar size and plumage not that dissimilar. Who knows though - stranger sightings have happened.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream