What bird is this?

Hello, trying to identify a new visitor to my garden feeder (sorry for the grainy pictures). Has a red/orange front with a bluey grey back and black markings on its head. I thought it could be a bullfinch but it doesn’t quite look 100% like that to me! 

• Hello Em, the bird is a Nuthatch, a lovely bird to see in the garden so well done.

Regards, Hazel 

• Oh fantastic Hazel! Thank you for letting me know. I’ve had so many new visitors to the garden recently. It’s a shame they couldn’t have made a visit on the weekend of the big garden bird watch!! Thank you again! Em
  • You're very welcome Em, sounds like you have a very welcoming garden and enough trees in the local area to have Nuthatches around. We used to have them in our last garden as we had a lot of oak trees and we were lucky enough to have two pairs of them nesting inside the stonecrete boxes we put up for the birds. Sorry they didn't turn up for the birdwatch hour, it's often typical they all do a disappearing act the minute we have to count them !!!!

Regards, Hazel