Mystery bird, no picture yet

Hi everyone,

new to this so please bear with me :)

Today I saw what I thought at first glance was a Robin. On my second glance I noticed it was about the size of a Thrush, only it had a red throat/chest and NOT a red face too like a Robin.

I have hunted all over the net and am now toying with the idea that it's either a red-throated thrush

(which is a rare visitor to Britain - I live in Kent) or a very odd robin/thrush type hybrid of some description.

Everytime I spot it I try to get a mental image in my head, (it's usually foraging on the ground near long grass by my kitchen window and then disappears back into my very overgrown apple tree) I grab my camera and it's gone again lol

I'm really hoping to get a photo soon, and will post it if I do.

I should also mention that it's back, wings and tail are what I can only describe as the same colour as a female sparrow, and under the red chesty bit it's white, hence I first mistook it for a robin. He also has what I can try and describe as a white line on edge of the wings (the bit of the wing that sits and rests on his belly - I'll call it an elbow for want of a better term lol)

I'll keep you posted, but if you have any ideas meantime please feel free to chip in  :)

Many thanks

Ali.

Good things come to those who wait :0)

•  

Hi,

aiki said:

If we're talking uber-rare thrushes, there are more UK records of American Robin than of Red-throated Thrush and the description sounds just as good for this species (also, American Robins do have a habit of showing up in gardens!). However, it too is still an extremely rare vagrant to the UK. It's all academic without a photo or a really detailed sketch/description... so I hope you see the mystery bird again soon :)

The time of the year is wrong for a wild Red throated thrush, but an escape is always possible- aviculturalists seem to have almost everything in  a cage somewhere :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Wrong time of year for a Redwing too isn't it, S?  Or is there a slim chance of one showing up?

• Unknown said:

Wrong time of year for a Redwing too isn't it, S?  Or is there a slim chance of one showing up?

Hi,

its too early really for a redwing down south and that wouldnt explain the reddish breast- I'll await a photo :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• seymouraves said:

Hi,

its too early really for a redwing down south and that wouldnt explain the reddish breast- I'll await a photo :)

S

Just eliminating another one :o)

I'm curious on this one!

• Aye

This could be intresting  :D

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 23/07/2010 06:28

Hi Ali

This thread is getting more interesting here by the hour and I will love to see the results with what you find

Please get that camera out as I would love to see that mystery bird of yours now {big smile}

Waiting in anticipation here

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• oh my gosh, I hope the bird reappears tomorrow. I don't want to let you down by not having any
    photographic evidence of what I saw.

I should perhaps have described the bird without letting you know what species I thought it might be ;-)

I sincerely hope I can get some good pics for you and for me.

Promise to update you all as soon as I see it again and will try my utmost to photograph it.

All the best

Ali.

• seymouraves said:

Hi,

If we're talking uber-rare thrushes, there are more UK records of American Robin than of Red-throated Thrush and the description sounds just as good for this species (also, American Robins do have a habit of showing up in gardens!). However, it too is still an extremely rare vagrant to the UK. It's all academic without a photo or a really detailed sketch/description... so I hope you see the mystery bird again soon :)

The time of the year is wrong for a wild Red throated thrush, but an escape is always possible- aviculturalists seem to have almost everything in  a cage somewhere :)

S

[/quote]

Yes, autumn/winter would be the right time for a wild one...  I missed the Naze bird in October 1994 by a day :(

Another possibility I suppose is a common thrush sp (eg Blackbird) with a pigment abnormality. What do you guys make of this bird from February? http://www.islingtongardeners.org.uk/ Scroll down to 18/02. I think this one could be an aberrant Blackbird - the red-brown looks too extensive for RT Thrush.

• Hi everyone,

Luckily he's still around today! So far I have managed to get just two pics of the bird :

I have no idea what he is so please let me know your thoughts :)

• phillnali said:

Hi everyone,

Luckily he's still around today! So far I have managed to get just two pics of the bird :

I have no idea what he is so please let me know your thoughts :)

Hi,

this is a young robin moulting into adult plumage :)

S