Red-winged blackbirds

Recently a red-winged blackbird’s nest, and unfortunately one of the mates (female), was removed from my parents yard because of aggressive behavior.

Since then the male partner has continued to dive bomb anyone who goes in the backyard.

A neighbor has offered to shoot the bird to stop this behavior. However, I wondered if there was a certain time frame that usually passes in which the mate realizes their nest and partner is gone and will leave the area?

• Which country are you from? Who removed the female and how? Do not know about the law regarding the shooting of birds, if you are outwith the UK

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Located in the USA. Shooting of the birds is legal if they are a nuisance/threat, as it is the responsibility of the homeowner to protect visitors on the property. The female was killed accidentally in the process of removing one of the nests. 

• Still feels a bit messed up though. Accidentally kill the female then shoot the grieving partner. Disappointed

I did some research and the males have multiple partners, so he won't be mobbing anyone for too long before he begins nesting again. Whether they leave the area or not is hard to say. I recommend looking into some harmless devices that could deter them like scarecrows or mechanical contraptions. It would be sad if they were shot, especially whilst nesting, but if it's legal then I can't say much. I'm sure that some kind of non-kill pest control company would know what to do.