The Young of 2024. ... share your pics here

I looked for this year's thread which doesn't seem to have been started yet as it will be a few weeks before we see some of the young birds ......

so will start of 2024 with one of the first young to appear - a rather cute wild "funny wabbit"  which was one of two kits seen.    Only record pic taken through window.

(Last year's thread HERE )

Regards, Hazel 

• Ducklings & Goslings from yesterdays walk

Three Musketeers (Mallard ducklings)

Me an' my bro (Canada goslings)

Ain't I cute (Canada gosling)

• Hmm.. expectant look on that last one... are they already trained in how to persuade humans to feed them d'you think? lol Lovely Hazel, thank you :o)

Found a blackbird nestling dead on in the garden this morning, the honeysuckle the nest was built in had somehow come away from the trellis overnight. Was only taking pics of Mr and Mrs taking in beakfuls of worms yesterday afternoon :o(

• are they already trained in how to persuade humans to feed them d'you think? lol Lovely Hazel,

As much as I would like to take the credit for the gorgeous duckling/gosling photos, you have BD to thank for them. !!       Sorry to hear about the dead blackbird nestling and hope the others survive ok.      

Regards, Hazel 

• I was replying for when you tootle round your lake next hazel Grin

Apologies BD, lovely set

• Oh !!    think tomorrow we will head to Burton Mere Wetlands as looks a warm sunny day and see if the Cetti's will oblige again LOL.    Getting a new toy to play with soon as my brother and family are visiting us from Australia next week and he's a professional photographer (retired ) and he will also get pleasure from using it and can help me with setting up the new gear (Canon mirrorless R5 and 100--500mm lens+ 1.4tc) as thought it about time I bit the bullet;    the R5 mkII is probably not out in UK for a good few months yet and to be honest it wouldn't make much difference to me and I'm sure there will be a significant price rise for the new model !      We will be going to Minsmere beginning June for a week so will be the perfect time to try the new camera/lens out.    I'll blame bro if the pics are rotten  LOL. 

Regards, Hazel 

• Oooh, I'll look forward to that :o) I think Bob and Mike both shoot the R5.... if you've a favourite canon lens already could be worth getting the adapter to make it usable on mirrorless, so you haven't got to shell out for new mirrorless lens of same length

• HAZY said:

Oh !!    think tomorrow we will head to Burton Mere Wetlands as looks a warm sunny day and see if the Cetti's will oblige again LOL.    Getting a new toy to play with soon as my brother and family are visiting us from Australia next week and he's a professional photographer (retired ) and he will also get pleasure from using it and can help me with setting up the new gear (Canon mirrorless R5 and 100--500mm lens+ 1.4tc) as thought it about time I bit the bullet;    the R5 mkII is probably not out in UK for a good few months yet and to be honest it wouldn't make much difference to me and I'm sure there will be a significant price rise for the new model !      We will be going to Minsmere beginning June for a week so will be the perfect time to try the new camera/lens out.    I'll blame bro if the pics are rotten  LOL. 

Sooo jealous, but hoping you both have a fabulous day, and looking forward to the photos.

You'll love the new R5, particularly the eye tracking, it is fast, sometimes too fast.

The settings menu layout is more or less the same as the R5, so you'll be at home finding your way around.

One very important thing to remember: ALWAYS POWER OFF BEFORE REMOVING/CHANGING LENSES. Unlike DSLR's the shutter blind stays open exposing the sensors to dust.

• Good for you Hazy, I hope you enjoy your new toy. If you haven't used a mirrorless before, they take a bit of getting used to, but well worth the effort. PB mentioned getting the EF adapter, which I would also recommend, but if you can get the one with the control ring. I got mine for the R7 on eBay and have the control ring set to 'exposure compensation', so I can use my L lenses and alter the brightness of the scene easily, while looking through the viewfinder. It is a very useful adidition ... Relaxed

• Thanks PB, Mike and BD,    really useful information and yes, I have the adapter to take my EF lenses coming with the camera and lens but it's not the one with control ring.     I've also ordered a spare battery (genuine Canon one) and a lens coat for the 100-500mm.    Thanks also for the reminder to power off before removing/changing lenses;  won't be a problem for me as I usually do that with the 5Diii and also before I remove SDHC/CF cards.      I notice the CF card is express type so different to the one in the 5Diii.        I've been debating for ages about getting mirrorless and I think the fact my brother is coming over has prompted me to actually press the buy button. LOL.   We'll both have fun with it but will be a new learning curve.      Thanks again guys, much appreciated for all your advice.     

Regards, Hazel 

• HAZY said:

Thanks PB, Mike and BD,    really useful information and yes, I have the adapter to take my EF lenses coming with the camera and lens but it's not the one with control ring.     I've also ordered a spare battery (genuine Canon one) and a lens coat for the 100-500mm.    Thanks also for the reminder to power off before removing/changing lenses;  won't be a problem for me as I usually do that with the 5Diii and also before I remove SDHC/CF cards.      I notice the CF card is express type so different to the one in the 5Diii.        I've been debating for ages about getting mirrorless and I think the fact my brother is coming over has prompted me to actually press the buy button. LOL.   We'll both have fun with it but will be a new learning curve.      Thanks again guys, much appreciated for all your advice.     

Yes, a different card, though you still have the second slot for an SD card.

The battery is the same as the 5D, but a higher capacity, likewise the same charger.