Some from The Hideout 2024

After a bit of the alternative Xmas, one not to be repeated, I hope, The Hideout has been a welcome refuge while trying to get back on my feet again.

The Hideout, just a random name I gave it, is my man cave, an integral brick built extension to the garage, which became a convenient dumping ground when we moved in 23 years ago, now nicely converted to a man cave.

A short 4 minute guided tour, no waffle, of The Hideout, which can be viewed HERE.

In my previous The Hideout thread, I did confess to honourably borrowing an annual based theme, so here it starts, and a link to the shorter 2023 thread, "Some from The Hideout 2023";

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/285975/some-from-the-hideout-2023

Not many photos to start with, I didn't fancy lugging the camera and dropping it, but The Hideout has been a comfort, heating on, gentle music in the background and urban nature (if such a term exists, well it does now), going about its business, and particularly nest building.

A pair of magpies seemed to be nest building atop our cherry tree, twigs etc being taken in, then the next day, the twigs seemed to be transported out, and to another tree, most likely a lot higher, further away. it may have been the cherry tree provided a central storage place, or not.....

The Hideout is definitely fulfilling its intended role.

Less of the waffle, and more photos.....

What better than an early sign of spring, daffodil shoots, that started showing very early December, which they always do here.

Mr BB looking for more suet pellets to be thrown from The Hideout, onto the grass....

Yesterday, 13th Jan,

Blue skies

and a magpie enjoying a bathe...

These first few images were taken through a dirty kitchen window, I know, should be clean, but I had been a guest of our fabulous NHS over Xmas/NY

Though blurred and out of focus, I hadn't anticipated the magpie taking flight,

These last few were taken from The Hideout

• Lovely photos Mike including the swift

Regards, Hazel 

• And a few more, this time with a new lens....

I do like my aeonium aeonium schwarzkopf/zwartkop, out in the sun where it belongs...

Mrs BB wanted some of the action

but was very disappointed to no suet pellets out....

Buff tail bumblebees on the lavender

uncropped

• Mrs Blackbird is certainly posing with such good posture for the new lens. !!     Lovely photos. 

Regards, Hazel 

• Loved the bee pics Blush

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Nice photos mike, thanks

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Some more using the RF 200-800 lens, and this also playing with the FV setting, which is like manual exposure control.

The rare showing of a water lily flower this year, hardly surprising with the lack of sun.....

A small white butterfly

which was eventually accompanied by another. I'm not quite sure whether they were being friendly, or territorial, there was no sign of any friction....

Then Cyril, lazing on a sunny afternoon, possibly after eating too many fermenting apples from next doors garden....

A speckled wood butterfly

Now for Mrs HS, and I note the  regular shaped dark patch on the chest, which I often see  on house sparrows during breeding season, making me wonder if that is due to looking after the brood...

Any thoughts anyone?

A buff tailed  bumblebee on the lavender

and in flight....

That's the last for now using the RF200-800 lens.

• Well captured Mike. I particularly like the 'in flight' shots of the Butterflies and the Bees, and of course cyril ... Slight smile. Looks like the new lens is doing a good job ... Thumbsup

• Now, the new RF 24-240 lens, and what better to start with, a very radiant sunrise

The colours were that spectacular, the sunrise cast a nice glow on the garden...

The next few of  bees in flight, were using the FV setting on the R5 exposure control.  How much better the FV was over the TV setting I'm not sure, but it does, unsurprisingly, work better with the RF lenses over the EF lenses.

Not quite a BBIF

This is a BBIF

A garden spider

A honeybee on the lavender

That Tommy Steele song comes to mind,

What? Oh erm
    What a mouth!
    What a mouth!
    What a north and south
    Blimey what a mouth he's got

That's all for now.

• Well captured Mike. I particularly like the 'in flight' shots of the Butterflies and the Bees, and of course cyril ... Slight smile. Looks like the new lens is doing a good job ... Thumbsup

Thank you.

I'm very impressed with both the new lenses, they are bringing out more potential from the R5. But I can't knock the EF lenses, they did what they were designed to do with the 5D4, and  made a good stopgap until I could invest in RF lenses.

Yes, Cyril, too much zider on a sunny afternoon me thinks.

The young family next door have gone their separate ways, so the garden has become unkempt and overrun with brambles and other stuff.....

• A crackin' sunrise there Mike, lovely colours. A bit early in the day for me ... Blush