Benji's Birdwatching

I thought I would make a new thread for my photography, this will save clogging up with loads of threads.

For starters, here are some of the many photos from over the Christmas Holidays

First off, a few photos from Staines Resevoirs, where I went to see black-necked grebe and black-throated Diver

Meadow Pipit

Pied Wagtail, I think it's the first time I've ever seen a pied wagtail in a tree!

Carrion Crow

Tried to get a shot of a wigeon, but they flew before I could get a shot of one sitting still!

There was a big flock of linnets, but this was the only decent shot I got of one!

I did find the Black-Necked Grebes! (Which were lifers for me!)

And also had the Black-Throated Diver coming quite close (again a lifer!)

That day ended well!

The next trip was to Southend-on-sea, I wasn't expecting much, but am glad I took my camera, as saw my lifer Sanderling and Turnstone there!

Sanderling

Turnstone

Also got my first decent looks (and photos) of Brant Geese

Starling were also present!

And finally a beautiful common gull

I wasn't expecting much, so was very happy.

The next few photos are from 2024, trying to up my year list

Firstly, my second BOP from the house in 2024, Sparrowhawk, also my best looks and photos of one!

Then I went to Cassiobury park, adding most of the garden birds

Nuthatch

Mandarin

This parakeet was harassing the woodpecker, trying to get it off the feeder - it didn't budge though!

And finally a trip to Lee Valley Discovery centre today, in the hopes of seeing my lifer Bittern!

After about 10 minutes I did manage to see it, but not clearly enough to get decent photos, however I heard there was a Smew further up the lake, so decided to go see that, then come back and see if the bittern would come more into the open.

Sure enough, I quickly locked onto a beautiful male Smew

I then headed back to the main discovery centre/hide, and was told the bittern was moving - after about 15 minutes it finally popped right into view!

It disappeared fairly quickly, but I went home happy!

This post is quite long, as it's a catch up from the last few days, but from now on they should be shorter!

Thanks for Looking!

Regards

Benji

• Definitely lucky to have those exotic looking birds near/fairly near/or did you travel miles? Great pics of them!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Fairly near - 25-30 mins away by bike Thumbsup

Regards

Benji

• Good bit of exercise then Benji! Rolling eyesHuggingBicyclist

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well done on persevering Benji, it can be a testing time when posting photos sometimes. You have some fabulous photos there, the male Smew is a bird I haven't seen, and what great shots of the Bittern.

Lot to learn

• Ooops I missed these last few pages. I have been back and looked, especially envious of the Kite, we have had one or two around Anglesey but not fabulous views as you have had. The little Goldcrest also is another hard bird to get, thanks for posting.

Lot to learn

•   Awesome! I went to Staines today for the BTD. Didn't see it but I got 2 other lifers!

• Well done finding the waxwings Benji, great photo's :)
  • Lovely waxwing photos, and definitely worth the wait.

The last time I saw waxwings was winter 2006, and never seen one since.

• On Monday I went to a Cassiobury Park, in the hopes of finally seeing my lifer Little Owl, as there is a well reported one there, which has been reported now for over 10 years!

I have been plenty of times (easily double digits) and looked and failed to see it.

Anyway, this time I had a slight advantage, in that last time I went someone had given me some intel into where exactly it liked to sit in its specific tree!

I started by going straight to the tree - and there it was! Look at that sky! It was in the middle of the day - but the change in lighting in post processing made it slightly darker than it should have been - it was still blue though!

I sat for a while, hoping to catch it coming lower, or somewhere I could get a slightly better angle, but after 10 mins or so I decided I would come back later, and went to a little hide with feeders instead.

The feeders were in use from most of your average feeder birds, but I only got decent photos of this great tit and a ring necked parakeet

I never knew there were so many different shades in a ring-necked parakeets wing!

After spending about an hour there, I walked around, not seeing much to photograph, then went back to the tree to see if I could see the Little Owl again.

I quickly caught sight of it again (there were a few other people already watching, and they pointed it out to me) after a bit of patience it dropped a bit lower down in the tree.

Peekaboo! (Blue skyHeart eyes)

Before it dropped to a point where I got a photo I was very happy with, after which I decided it was time to go home!

Regards

Benji

• Very good captures Benji, so pleased you managed to see the Little Owl ... they always manage to look quite cross & grumpy!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr