Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt5; St Michael’s Mount

If you’ve missed any of the previous postings, the links follow below: 

In case I forget later, any species ID corrections are always gratefully appreciated

26th September St Michael’s Mount

Another old favourite, St Michael’s Mount. Sadly, this time the actual former home of Baron St Leven, John St Aubyn,  was very much out of reach this time. But the harbour, shops, cafe and restaurant were just as welcome as ever.

St Michael's Mount was the first place I saw a little egret, back in August 2002!

I had hoped to walk the causeway, but we’d missed the window to safely walk the causeway, so we took the boat across and back.

Pre-accident I’d have happily allowed my feet to get wet, but not these days, and more so with the current way things are. But it was still a very pleasant day nonetheless.

Sadly, the Island Cafe, the former laundry block, now has a hardened surface where the outside seating is. It used to be grass, but I guess this is to embrace the increased footfall.

But the small birds were still as apparent.

Mr Chaffie waiting his turn for the crumbs....

Likewise this rock pipit

Another, or possibly the same Mr Chaffie...

Nicely refreshed, after a cream tea, it was time to wander the shops and harbour, and greeted by this fabulous aeonium display on the steps, which probably would have served as a mounting point for ladies getting on to their horses.

Aeoniums are a succulent, native to Madeira in the Mediterranean, which you may recall I mentioned one that was in the Mediterranean Biome at The Eden Project in Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt1 The Eden Project (long report may need bookmarking), and a very common garden plant around Cornwall.

And around to the north side of the harbour, where the amphibious vehicle had not long returned from the mainland, after routine servicing.

Previous to this amphibious vehicle, the islanders relied on a WWII amphibious vehicle, called a DUKW, pronounced duck.... You can read about DUKW's by clicking HERE to access the Wikipedia link.

Back in the 60's, there used to be a DUKW as a tourist attraction from Red Wharf Bay, Anglesey, and I think there used to be one on the River Thames, London, possibly with some still in active tourism service around the world.

You can read some more about the St Michael's Mount Sealander Seamaster Amphibious Vehicle by clicking HERE.

You can see a short video HERE of the amphibious vehicle returning to the island via the harbour and parking up, taken before the above photos.

The harbour

Back to the wildlife, and my favourites, turnstones, flitting around among the rocks within the harbour.

Posing nicely

Then it was back to the mainland and the landing platform at Marazion. Digressing, Marazion is a quaint little village, well worth spending some time there, if you get the chance. There are some quaint shops and tea rooms/gardens, plus the views.

Well, that's it for now, the final part, pt6 to follow, Porthleven, that was a real grey day, post Storm Agnes, but interesting nonetheless. Thank you for reading and I hope you've enjoyed some of the views as much as Mrs PR and myself did.