Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt1 The Eden Project (long report may need bookmarking)

Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt1 The Eden Project

For those who want a memory jogger of last year’s Cornwall wildlife, have a look at: Cornwall Holiday Wildlife, click HERE.

This is a long report, so you may need to bookmark it for later reading.

Cornwall, a much needed break for Mrs PR, and myself, after missing out on Bonnie Scotland back in May, plus Wales and various other days away from the rat race. Yes, even in retirement, we still get caught up in a rat race, albeit a different one, and a different pace, but it still seems just as hectic! 

After such a successful and very enjoyable fortnight in Cornwall last year, we both agreed, we’re coming back in 2023, so promptly booked the same apartment, which for those who recall, has superb sea views, and for me, being on one level was perfect to get around without steep stairs. Although the car park is on an upper level, there is a lift so carting luggage, and I have extra luggage with medical stuff for my leg, was just perfect.

We also got nice and friendly with the local surgery last year, only because of the daily leg care that I require, and they were more than happy to look after me again this time.

All positives, and not one moment dampened the holiday, not even Agnes, who whisked here way through the UK halfway through the second week of our stay could dampen the holiday.

Strangely, St Agnes is a village a few miles to the west of where we stayed, plus, there is a St Agnes on the Scilly Isles.

Not only did we get friendly with the local surgery, but also some of the local birds, photos to follow.

That's the boring bit done, now the piccies....

The view from the patio on arrival day

You know how I love my sunrise and sunset photos, we were perfectly placed for those, except, unlike last year, the weather didn’t cooperate quite the same. Unlike last year, where we had the sunrises, this year we had the sunsets, and just as spectacular.

The first sunset of the holiday, on arrival day.

with the Star 6 filter

What has been high on the tick list of places to visit,

is The Eden Project, and being mainly an indoor attraction, we went on a dull wet day. The Eden Project is a series of tropical forests  from around the world encapsulated in large polythene cultivation domes, called BIOMES.

The ground used for these biomes was a former China Clay quarry, that is why you have to go down to the biomes, etc

On the way down, we encountered some rather large bees!

Now a word of caution, it may be indoors, but getting from the car park to the biomes (the name given to the domes housing all the plants etc) involves quite a walk exposed to the elements. There are park and ride buses from the car parks to the main entrance, but there’s still a walk to the entrance, and then from the entrance down to the biomes, another walk, downhill. For me it was a struggle to get back up, but we were in no rush, it didn’t dampen the day, self catering meant no rush for meal times and we could always stop and enjoy a pub meal.

The rain had stopped so it was good to stop frequently and enjoy looking down to the biomes.

Once we got down, it was awesome. We first went into the Rainforest Biome, viewing the plants and aspects of tropical Asia, and around to the African continent. There are many interactive  displays, like the type of huts lived in, and one part, an African home which enjoyed a continued rain storm.

Spot the ships bow.....

Trader Steam Navigation

Hibiscus

Southeast Asian hut, and Mrs PR 

West Africa Rainforest Canopy

I hadn’t realised how high up we’d ascended, the paths were very wheelchair friendly considering the height, though I’m not so sure about the descent….

Costa Rica

Palm Oil Drums

Bamboo Hut

One interesting bird we saw was the Crested Partridge, also known as the Roul Roul bird, because of its call.

Then it was back into the main reception biome, and across over to the Mediterranean Biome. Now this was an interesting one, starting off in the Mediterranean as most of know it, terracotta tiles, white washed buildings etc.

Below, the Elephant's Foot Tree or Ponytail Tree

Aeonium, a succulent species of plant from Madera, and very commonplace in Cornwall.

Then, moving around to the Californian Desert,

For those curious about the inscription on the stone in  the above photo, the one below reveals all

and finally around to the Australian Outback

and what better to start with than a kangaroo plant....

Eucalyptus

Grass Tree, South West Australia

No id required for this wee  chappie, whether its Australisian or Eurasian, I'll leave you guessing, just as I am.Grinning

before arriving back at the Mediterranean Zone.

There's even references to Mediterranean Mythology.

that includes the Olive Tree!

and a A Borrie, a dry stone structure built as a shepherds hut.

and the end, a Mediterranean tapas bar

It was fascinating, but as with all good things, the day was drawing to a close and we needed to get back for dinner.

Last photo, a last look at the biomes, before going back to the apartment

The question to ask after a day anywhere, would we return?

You bet we will. Stuck out tongue winking eye

With many attractions, they often facilitate a free return within twelve months, so long as you keep proof of your admission. Yes, you guessed, that proof is firmly filed as an email, because we booked online with email confirmation and will most definitely be returning.

Thank you for staying the course, it was a long one, but a fantastic day, lots to see, too much to learn, but well worth it.

• We also went for the first time this year, it was a sunny day and sooo hot in the biomes, especially up near the roof... It is a fantastic place to visit and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • I havnt been to the eden project before. I like the mythology side and if  the plants are actualy  real and proper wild plants then the plants aswell.  for the staues. there are a few statues of wildlife and statues of wild animals can be interesting or fun but they dont really compensate for the real things and I prefer the real things for me so im not usualy very interested in the statues and more interested in the truely wild side so if I were to go there I wouldnt take any interest in them amd most likely be hopeing they have lizards or or any wildlife related to the climate of each biome. and then I also prefer actualy being outside in nature the majority of the time to being indoors so for me it doesnt look like it would be for me if I did visit so may not nesacerily visit the edan project unless there were mainly   living wild animals and they make it more wild 

but its good that you enjoyed it and thats the main thing. the infomation is interesting and cause Iv not seen the edan project before it was interesting looking at the photos and there very nice photos

• Nice to see something different Mike...Looks like yous had a fantastic day out ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Very comprehensive and interesting tour Mike, never been there so it's good to know what's on offer! A glorious sunset view from your balcony, would make a great framed picture on the wall!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• SnappyMac said:
    We also went for the first time this year, it was a sunny day and sooo hot in the biomes, especially up near the roof... It is a fantastic place to visit and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

I can imagine how hot it would become on a sunny day.

Our intention was to pick a dry day where we wouldn't need to worry about carrying coats etc, but the forecast for the week ahead didn't look that promising, so picked a cooler day.  It was still very warm then, particularly as you say, the higher levels.

It was also interesting with being regular visitors to Cornwall for thirty years, because much of the drive there and back was using the former A30, because that particular weekend, the main part of the current/new A30 between Chiverton Cross and the East side of Roche was closed as contractors did whatever work they needed to do for the new A30 outside of the working week.

Some good memories.

• Zo Clark said:

I havnt been to the eden project before. I like the mythology side and if  the plants are actualy  real and proper wild plants then the plants aswell.  for the staues. there are a few statues of wildlife and statues of wild animals can be interesting or fun but they dont really compensate for the real things and I prefer the real things for me so im not usualy very interested in the statues and more interested in the truely wild side so if I were to go there I wouldnt take any interest in them amd most likely be hopeing they have lizards or or any wildlife related to the climate of each biome. and then I also prefer actualy being outside in nature the majority of the time to being indoors so for me it doesnt look like it would be for me if I did visit so may not nesacerily visit the edan project unless there were mainly   living wild animals and they make it more wild 

but its good that you enjoyed it and thats the main thing. the infomation is interesting and cause Iv not seen the edan project before it was interesting looking at the photos and there very nice photos

Well worth a visit Zo.

The mythology aspect did not take up too much of the exhibits, but it was fascinating to see and read about.

• Linda257 said:
    Nice to see something different Mike...Looks like yous had a fantastic day out ;-)

It was an awesome day Linda.

As  you will all know, I will offer a constructive view, and the following intended to be just that.

It never is easy to showcase different environments in small areas, nature and habitats cover vast areas, so to encapsulate so much in those biomes, they have thought it out well and delivered brilliantly. Add to that, as a former self-propelled wheelchair user, accessibility has been done to the highest level.

There is a lift in the Rainforest Biome, and in the cafe/reception biome, whereas the Mediterranean Biome is predominantly on one level.

Hence the comment about the downhill journey.

• WendyBartter said:
    Very comprehensive and interesting tour Mike, never been there so it's good to know what's on offer! A glorious sunset view from your balcony, would make a great framed picture on the wall!

Thank you.

It was/is an awesome place.  If you get the chance, make the trip.

I did wonder about splitting the report, before finally posting, hence the title saying long report and advise bookmarking.

• What an incredible day out you both had, looks very interesting with much to see, take in and learn. Thanks for sharing your holiday and glad that you were able to go and that you coped okay.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Lynn L said:
    What an incredible day out you both had, looks very interesting with much to see, take in and learn. Thanks for sharing your holiday and glad that you were able to go and that you coped okay.

You're welcome and thank you for commenting. It was incredible CL, and so pleased we actually got to visit the Eden Project.