Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt 4; Cornish Seal Sanctuary

Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt 4; Cornish Seal Sanctuary

If you’ve missed any of the previous postings, the links follow below: 

In case I forget later, any species ID corrections are always gratefully appreciated

25th September Cornish Seal Sanctuary

The Cornish Seal Sanctuary, an old favourite of ours. I was able to put the R5 through its paces for underwater photos and video, but from a viewing gallery, through glass, not scuba.

I did try a circular polarising filter, but the light level was too low, and the couple of images I did take were too grainy. But it’s always worth a try, even though without the circ polariser, the final photos and videos were clear enough.

Seals are brilliant subjects to photograph, and video, they are very curious and playful, plus graceful when in or under water.

The day started with a promising sunrise.

A morning visit from a pied wagtail, strutting along

before deciding to look in

along with the regular rock pipit visits….

those poses on the gate did earn some breakie 

After a late morning nurse appt, it was straight off to the Cornish Seal Sanctuary.

I think to say, the car park is quite hilly is not an understatement, and not many accessible parking spaces, not that it impacted our visit. The staff were very supportive and helpful, and even radio called the visitor buggy, to whisk us from the reception and shop to the sanctuary. So for those who struggle walking, help is at hand and it is freely offered without question.

After a cuppa and pasty (when in Cornwall, you gotta have a pasty, or cream tea, it’s the law). Close to the outdoor cafe, which does have shelter to protect you from the weather, the humboldt penguin enclosure was our first stop. Each penguin has a name, and is clearly identified with a coloured tag on one wing, males on the right, females on the left.

Hmmmm, I think something got a little wrong there, aren’t females always right!   Thinking   

• Gilbert (green band)
  • Ivy (black band)
  • Piran (pink band),
  • Pine (purple band)
  • Lola (blue band)
  • Yoni (yellow band)
  • Waddles (orange band)
  • “Squidge" (red band) last but not least, the miracle penguin

Squidge was a proper little poser, he had that air about him, probably because he was hand reared, but still a lovable character nonetheless. You can see Squidge’s story told HERE on YouTube and see why he is the miracle humboldt penguin, along with the other humboldt penguin, with their story HERE.

Humboldt Penguin videos which can be viewed on my Flickr pages on the following links.

The seals (common and grey), along with a sea lion, also have enclosures, one of which has a below water level viewing gallery, where you can watch the seals gracefully swim, and what a fabulous sight it is, they’re so graceful, and playful.

There is a seal hospital on site, you can visit some of the recovering seals. Be warned, some of the sights are not pleasant, and even more pitiful when you see the sad eyes of the recovering seals.

But the care is second to none.

The Californian Sea Lion

and the seals.....

You've heard the term; "It's a dog's life....", how about: "It's a seal's life.... Grinning

They do get in the water and swim, even if just to pose.....

You can watch the seals, and penguins, being fed. You will see in some photos, each seal has a food bucket with its name on. That way the staff can monitor diet and ensure any medication goes to the right seal. The commentary with each feeding session is very informative, and if the decide to be a little playful, nice and lighthearted.

Then it was the humboldt penguins feeding time, again with the rich informative commentary.

They know it's time, as they gather in anticipation....

Back to the seals, and this time, from the underwater viewing gallery

The seals are sooo graceful and elegant underwater. You can see the videos on my Flickr pages on the following links

A bit of a longer report this time, but hopefully just as enjoyable for you, as it was for Mrs PR and myself.

Thank you for taking the time to read and view.

• Another lovely set Mike, thanks for sharing. Another reason for a Cornwall visit lol
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Another lovely set Mike, thanks for sharing. Another reason for a Cornwall visit lol

You're welcome PB and thank you for reading.

I hope I haven't made the holiday choices for you and Mrs PB too difficult....

• Cracking set Mike...no wonder you and Mrs PR keep going back each year.,.thanks for sharing ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Looks good Mike, another place to add to my list of places to visit in Cornwall :)
  • Linda257 said:
    Cracking set Mike...no wonder you and Mrs PR keep going back each year.,.thanks for sharing ;-)

Thank you and you're welcome.

Bonnie Scotland does just as well, and fingers crossed to be back to The Highlands May 2024, leg permitting.....

The links to my Flickr pages May 2022/P2 and  May 2022/P3  Mrs PR and myself had a fabulous time wildlife spotting.

• SnappyMac said:
    Looks good Mike, another place to add to my list of places to visit in Cornwall :)

Definitely worth a visit. The work they do, along with other seal sanctuaries around the UK is just beyond superb.

Our first visit back in September 1994, they had an orphaned seal pup but no mum. A local dairy farmer had only that morning had a calf born and came to the rescue, because of the high fat content required by seal pups, and newly calved cows offer the nearest fat content.

I did find out afterwards, that seal pup made it to adulthood and the big wide seas.

I've not long had some old VHS footage converted to MP4 (with the anticipated quality that VHS gave and usual dropouts through age and magnetic tape degradation), of that visit which I ought to upload to Flickr. I don't do YouTube any longer, though I still have the account.

There's one clip from the underwater gallery where a grey seal follows my finger in a playful and inquisitive fashion.