Butterflies and Moths 2023

Starting off 2023 list already!  7 Winter moths - Operophtera brumata around the front door 

Last years thread for newcomers can be found here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/279008/butterflies-and-moths-2022

Not sure what I will find this year as I will be possibly be doing more travelling in the UK 

Cin J

• 23rd April 

Tortrix family 

light brown apple moth 

• I used my magnifying glass to see it even closer and then left It alone 

• First moth of the year. possibly from my Tortrix moth caterpillar that was in the garden

• i was desperate to attract a Butterfly to the garden so while im getting plants for the pond I thought I may aswell get a plant that’s highly attractive to pollinators with the plants for pollinators logo 

I usually grow wildflowers from seed and the other plants in the garden like Budlea don’t flower until summer so I don’t usually get butterflys in the garden  until summer and  I couldn’t really wait for any more seedlings to grow and flower cause none have flowered yet. it’s almost May already now. The plant worked and It was very exiteing. I got back from getting a trawl when a cabbage white came and flew strait to the plant ignoring everything else 

Small white. 

• Well done Zo. What kind of plant is it? And what is a 'Trawl' you were out getting ... Relaxed. Just wondering.

• Scabiosa Butterfly blue it is very Wildlife friendly 

This is a trawl 
    And this is what a trawl looks like 

It’s like a spade and it’s for gardening   

• Daniels Brook 

2nd May 2023 

screenshots from my video of a orange tip I took at Daniels Brook today cause it wouldn’t stay still for a photo 

orange tip