Butterflies and Moths 2022

Thought I would kick this years thread off with the beautiful Peacock  spotted today - I have had quite a few moths around the front door but not deployed the lights recently 

Edit: 2021 thread can be found here community.rspb.org.uk/.../butterflies-moths-2021

• Nice to see this thread started Germain, it should mean warmer weather is on its way. We've had a Comma last week up here in N. Yorkshire probably disturbed from an overwintering hide away
  • Thank you Cin for starting this thread, and what a nice colourful start, a peacock butterfly in the sun.

• I posted this in the insect thread, before I found out there is a moth & butterfly specific one, so sorry for the duplicate post.

I had a Red Admiral in the garden this morning. I live in Central Scotland so I was surprised to see one so early in February.

• Stephen65 said:

I posted this in the insect thread, before I found out there is a moth & butterfly specific one, so sorry for the duplicate post.

I had a Red Admiral in the garden this morning. I live in Central Scotland so I was surprised to see one so early in February.

Don't worry, no one is going to tell you off, but you will most likely gain extra likes for the lovely photo.  Thumbsup

• Thanks for the new thread, CinJ--wonderful pic of a beautiful insect and I hope the early ones survive the remaining bouts of cold, or is it unlikely to freeze from now on in the Channel Islands?

Stephen, I might expect early butterflies where CinJ lives...but in Scotland?! I'm with Mike--unlikely that anyone will object to the repetition of your photo--always a joy to see such gorgeous creatures; I expect most folks will not notice and it will only mean that even more people will see your lovely butterfly, and like me, marvel that one is out so early in Scotland.
  • Unknown said:
    Thanks for the new thread, CinJ--wonderful pic of a beautiful insect and I hope the early ones survive the remaining bouts of cold, or is it unlikely to freeze from now on in the Channel Islands?

It is unlikely we will get a prolonged freezing spell now - I won't say never as that is tempting the weather gremlins and we have had a couple of mad March events in the last 10 years.  There were Peacock and Red Admiral out the other day.  

I suspect Stephen's had been overwintering in a very sheltered spot and warmed up enough - in theory it can go torpid again but each wake up will diminish survival chances 

• A lovely visitor this morning  although a bit bedraggled

• A trip to Steart Marshes at the weekend (WWT reserve featured on Countryfile the previous week) had a surprisingly low tally of birds, but I did see first (and 2nd) Small Tortoiseshells, and 1st Comma of the spring

Very tatty.... possibly just up and about after hibernation?

Much smarter :o)

• First appearances of White butterflies here yesterday & today in the warm sunshine, no pics unfortunately!
  • Another two "firsts of the year" today, Peacock and Brimstone (one of which actually stopped close enough and long enough for a pic!!)