A Walk Round Holes Bay, Poole

I thought I'd head to Holes Bay, for the very remote possibility one of the Isle of Wight White Tailed Eagles drifted over from further into Poole Harbour, and the likelihood of seeing some waders that I've not seen for a while. The light was variable, I'm still the error prone user of my camera, and some of the birds were pretty distant, Those are my excuses, and I'm sticking to them Smile

I started quite early, but as they say, the early Redshank catches the..... whatever they feed on!

Most likely a Blackwit, but both have been sighted recently around the bay area

There were a fair few Black Headed Gulls wheeling about

I'm guessing Redshank, but none of my books have the bright white trailing wing feathers so broad

Meadow Pipit, despite it being on the rocks, near the water!!

Honking overhead revealed the incoming Canada Geese

The sun started to peek through the misty cloudy atmosphere

Even by the water, you can rely on a Robin Relaxed

Some more Godwits, in the shadow of the railway line that splits Holes Bay in two

Munchy o'clock!

Mrs Teal on the wing

'Wit & 'Shanks!!

Could this possibly be a Yellowlegs (or some other "not a Redshank")? 3 or 4 times Redshanks came in and looked to force it away, in the brief time I was watching

Carrotbill

The path leads through into the woods of Upton Country park... some delicious fungus

A brief glimpse of a Jay... it couldn't have gone a yard further into the sunshine, could it??

Coal Tit rootling through the leaves

And Nutty doing the same, but the still attached leaves!

More yumminess!

Heading back towards the car, Curlew were a bit closer than before

And the Godwits appeared brighter in the morning sunshine

Suddenly, unexpectedly, out of nowhere

Right in by the shoreline, Common Sandpiper

The most common birds I think were Wigeon, as the sun shone brighter, their calls came across the bay louder and louder

And alongside them, several Teal

Suddenly as I crossed back over the bridge over the railway line, a cacophony of Caws, and a poor harassed Buzzard rose up

In the water was a low level Canada Goose... apparently they swim like this to avoid predators... so I wonder if the Buzzard was still about after I'd lost sight of it, but it stayed like this for several hundred yards

I can never resist a flying Maggie

And a final Oystercatcher to round off a 3 hour trundle around Holes Bay

Hope you like the trip, and just so you know, I reset to factory defaults on the shooting menu after this trip, so the iffy pics may be improved after the user has removed his influence from the setting menu!!

Thanks in advance for a wader corrections or confirmations.

Stay Safe All

• Just a quick update, DERC say it is a rarity for Dorset, but is known in Upton Country Park. They want me to try and remember where I was... But I've slept since then RoflRofl

• There’s this thing called gps tagging when you take a photo of something it tags where you took it

To find out where your photo was taken you can Tap on the photo in your photo album 

click the i and then you can see a map

Click on the map and it will show you exactly where the photo was taken 

This can come in handy exspeacialy if you need to find out where you took a photo I hope it helps

• I don’t have the type of camara you have but you can use gps tagging on camaras aswell as phones

• PimperneBloke said:
    Just a quick update, DERC say it is a rarity for Dorset, but is known in Upton Country Park. They want me to try and remember where I was... But I've slept since then

Thank you for letting us know :). exciting - be cautious about the GPS tagging and it can attach to the file - we are asked not to post photos of rarities on public forum with GPS - just in case 

Cin J

• I think Pimpernbloke just wants to find out where he or she took it to let DERC know where it was taken. DERC welcomes records given on recording forms or in Excel Spreadsheets. you can also send records by email or post so you don’t have to tell them where it is on a public forum or send a gps tagged photo on a public forum to let them know where it was taken.

• The grid reference is similar to other records in the park, and mine will be added to the database.

Just for info, I didn't have any location info within the camera/image so I used an interactive map on the Dorset Butterflies website, which allows you to place a pin in a location and that provides all necessary location information, and cross referencing with earlier and later photo's I could pinpoint where I was :o)

And as further info, you can move that pin anywhere, not just in Dorset, for instance, did you know Didcot's location? Lat: 51.60778322118
    Lng: -1.24008217187 lol
  • PimperneBloke said:
    The grid reference is similar to other records in the park, and mine will be added to the database.

Just for info, I didn't have any location info within the camera/image so I used an interactive map on the Dorset Butterflies website, which allows you to place a pin in a location and that provides all necessary location information, and cross referencing with earlier and later photo's I could pinpoint where I was :o)

And as further info, you can move that pin anywhere, not just in Dorset, for instance, did you know Didcot's location? Lat: 51.60778322118
    Lng: -1.24008217187 lol

that’s good news. I find lots of Recording schemes I send records to tend to use that method I find that the interactive maps on recording schemes can be quiet helpful since they tend to have a marker for you to pinpoint a location which automatically tells you important information about the place pin pointed on the map like longitude and latitude and things like that. I think one of the reasons they have the interactive map and marker is cause some people might not know the longitude and latitude information so it is useful for recording species

• Hi PB,
    Bit late seeing this, I've been rather busy lately and not able to keep up with all the posts that come through.
    Great set of photos and a good variety of birds seen.
    As for setting the camera up, it took me ages to get the best out of the huge variety of options available, then an update would involve a rethink. I still, after nearly 5 years with the camera, have the occasional tweak to make and still sometimes find myself missing shots because I'm not in the mode I thought I was, especially for those very quick instinctive one chance shots of some birds. Over the 5 years the number of "errors" has gone down but will never go away entirely.
    Carry on enjoying the new camera, patience will be rewarded.
    Trevor