Hazy's thread: October - Last day at Leighton Moss (beardies, bittern and bunting et.al )

I thought I may start this new thread for my future photos rather than posting into separate threads each time because I am conscious of multiple posts pushing other members new posts on to pages 2, 3, etc,  when I could combine all my outings/photos onto just this single thread;    all I need to do is change half the main title each time and then it gives other posters space on the main page (to add their own thread ) rather than having to go hunting for new posts as they tend to drop down too quickly these days. I will continue to use the existing threads like photo-bomb, bad pics, etc, that are already in situ as I am not creating future new threads.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here we go with this first post on my one and only thread. !    not many pics today but headed off to Leasowe on The Wirral although being so quiet there we headed then to Parkgate which was equally quiet today;   many birds skulking as they continue to moult their feathers and the tide well out so no waders inshore.  

This the view at Leasowe looking towards New Brighton/Liverpool 

We saw waders like Curlew, Redshank, Turnstone, lots of B.H.Gulls they were too distant to get decent pics as the tide needs to be well in to capture them on camera.

However,  this does not apply to Stonechats  lol.      This little beauty was posing beautifully and remained on each stem for long periods ..... not sure if this was a juvenile or adult female in mid moult. looking rather fluffy and very obliging I thought juvenile ?

young Goldfinch ........

when it turned around I noticed it had a tick on its face but hopefully once the tick has had its fill of blood it will drop off 

You can tell it's the first day back in school for children.   !!!       whole promenade to ourselves and a few dog walkers 

Parkgate was very quiet,  it has a vast salt marsh but we did spot a very distant Marsh Harrier - couldn't tell if it was adult female or juvenile 

on king/spring tide days you can get a raptor-fest spectacular with anything from hen harriers, marsh harriers, kestrels to escaping voles, mice, etc,  

also to be found are Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Stonechats.......   

In the winter you can see short eared owls

Regards, Hazel 

• Hazel, I always look forward to your photos. When are you likely to go back to LM? Perhaps we could have a meet-up sometime in October at LM or perhaps at Minsmere...the only other reserve we have been to which is about as rich and varied as LM, although having said that, we have not been to a huge number of other reserves--Lol!

Gaynor, I agree with Hazel--as she says, views of Bitterns are very memorable as was the one in your photo--they are rare compared to views of many other species. That Bittern was soooo close to the hide and gave us such a fabulous view. Any photo of a Bittern would be memorable so never mind if you say yours was 'mushy'--I thought it was great that you managed to get any photo at all. You captured the moment and there is no doubt that it was a Bittern--lucky you (and the rest of us who were there!)

Kind regards, Ann

• Hazy I haven't booked my ticket for uke festival yet and as you say anything could happen inbetween. I was online today and see that a lady from Hawaii that I have learned a lot from is to be there and that is tempting me to see if I can persuade others to travel! As you say October is also good in LM so options remain. Forgot to say that my daughter and family are hoping to get back to Crete in the summer holidays, could also be at the same time, and they want me to go - aren't I lucky to have the chance of all these different trips.

Thanks Ann, it was a fabulous time in LM this year, and one I shall remember for ages, all those Marsh Harriers, I just kept on clicking and enjoying myself, very happy to get the Bittern, total luck as I hadn't realised as it flew past just what it was!!!!!! Hope to see you and your hubby next year some time, now Minsmere sounds an excellent idea!!!

Lot to learn

• Unknown said:
    Perhaps we could have a meet-up sometime in October at LM or perhaps at Minsmere...the only other reserve we have been to which is about as rich and varied as LM

I'm currently booking for Minsmere  12th - 19th May 2023  as Nige mentioned he went in May this year and it was a good month for sightings - and hopefully Bitterns. !!      With LM we usually only go on short notice as we tend to look at forecast and availability in Travelodge. !      

Regards, Hazel