Hazy's thread: October - Last day at Leighton Moss (beardies, bittern and bunting et.al )

I thought I may start this new thread for my future photos rather than posting into separate threads each time because I am conscious of multiple posts pushing other members new posts on to pages 2, 3, etc,  when I could combine all my outings/photos onto just this single thread;    all I need to do is change half the main title each time and then it gives other posters space on the main page (to add their own thread ) rather than having to go hunting for new posts as they tend to drop down too quickly these days. I will continue to use the existing threads like photo-bomb, bad pics, etc, that are already in situ as I am not creating future new threads.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here we go with this first post on my one and only thread. !    not many pics today but headed off to Leasowe on The Wirral although being so quiet there we headed then to Parkgate which was equally quiet today;   many birds skulking as they continue to moult their feathers and the tide well out so no waders inshore.  

This the view at Leasowe looking towards New Brighton/Liverpool 

We saw waders like Curlew, Redshank, Turnstone, lots of B.H.Gulls they were too distant to get decent pics as the tide needs to be well in to capture them on camera.

However,  this does not apply to Stonechats  lol.      This little beauty was posing beautifully and remained on each stem for long periods ..... not sure if this was a juvenile or adult female in mid moult. looking rather fluffy and very obliging I thought juvenile ?

young Goldfinch ........

when it turned around I noticed it had a tick on its face but hopefully once the tick has had its fill of blood it will drop off 

You can tell it's the first day back in school for children.   !!!       whole promenade to ourselves and a few dog walkers 

Parkgate was very quiet,  it has a vast salt marsh but we did spot a very distant Marsh Harrier - couldn't tell if it was adult female or juvenile 

on king/spring tide days you can get a raptor-fest spectacular with anything from hen harriers, marsh harriers, kestrels to escaping voles, mice, etc,  

also to be found are Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Stonechats.......   

In the winter you can see short eared owls

Regards, Hazel 

• Beautiful Stonechat

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Lovely photos Hazel...don't you just love when the kids are back at school ...peace to enjoy the great outdoors lol
    Look forward to seeing more in your new thread ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Lovely photos Hazel especially the stonechats and the goldfinch
  • Nice quiet set - our schools don't go back to today and tomorrow.
    Just a personal view but I would prefer you to post a new thread each time -that way I know what I haven't missed anything plus the Osprey threads are all going to die down very soon.
  • Hi Bob, I intend to change half the title on my thread each time when I get new photos or outings to share or I can put the date in which would indicate a new addition; I find these days with multiple threads being posted or split into several parts too many threads are often pushed off the front page within half a day so I have to scroll through page 2+ in order not to miss any. I don't expect people to follow what I am doing but it is the way I prefer to post in future in order to limit the same poster having multiple posts on the main page. I like to see different posters sharing the main page and given a chance for their posts to be seen before disappearing to page 2.....

Regards, Hazel 

• A lovely start to your new thread Hazel. Look forward to following what you have to show us, thanks.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• What a fabulous idea, especially as it is an area you visit regularly, and it will be good to see the various locations as they evolve through the seasons. It has the potential to be an annual thread, or just a long running series.

Other than that, lovely photos and to see a juvenile goldfinch with a tick, not good for the goldfinch, does show what a tick can look like for a lot of people haven't seen a tick. There is a good chance the tick hasn't long started gorging on the goldfinches blood supply, for they can grow up to 0.4 cm in width!

On a happier note, as always, lovely photos and lovely weather by the look of it. I'm itching to get back to Burton Mere and Parkgate. The twice I've been to Parkgate, the sightings of raptors flying across the marshes are just fabulous.

• Michael B said:
    The twice I've been to Parkgate, the sightings of raptors flying across the marshes are just fabulous.

I think wintertime at places like Hoylake,  Leasowe, Wallasey, etc,   is a great time to see waders as high tide approaches although as you know, the tide doesn't really come in close at Parkgate and it is only spring/king tides when tide comes in far enough and watch the spectacular sight of raptors hunting voles, mice, etc, closer in to shore as these exceptional high tides has the prey escape the salt marshes.    It is also nice to spend time at Parkgate and Neston areas during winter for sightings of short eared owls although their numbers vary year to year depending on the vole population and if they need to find food further afield from Europe which encourages them to migrate in higher numbers to our shores.  

I particularly love to see Curlews and the chance of Purple Sandpipers  but equally enjoy seeing Turnstone, Plovers, etc.      I'm also glad other birds like Stonechats are resident all year round as we lose some of our favourite warblers who migrate to their wintering grounds.    

Let us know if you decide to head to the Wirral Mike and we'll do our best to catch up with you again but understand it is more difficult for you these days with the leg issues.   I still have my permit for Connah's Quay (Deeside) and can take you in on that permit.   

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Michael B said:
    The twice I've been to Parkgate, the sightings of raptors flying across the marshes are just fabulous.

I think wintertime at places like Hoylake,  Leasowe, Wallasey, etc,   is a great time to see waders as high tide approaches although as you know, the tide doesn't really come in close at Parkgate and it is only spring/king tides when tide comes in far enough and watch the spectacular sight of raptors hunting voles, mice, etc, closer in to shore as these exceptional high tides has the prey escape the salt marshes.    It is also nice to spend time at Parkgate and Neston areas during winter for sightings of short eared owls although their numbers vary year to year depending on the vole population and if they need to find food further afield from Europe which encourages them to migrate in higher numbers to our shores.  

I particularly love to see Curlews and the chance of Purple Sandpipers  but equally enjoy seeing Turnstone, Plovers, etc.      I'm also glad other birds like Stonechats are resident all year round as we lose some of our favourite warblers who migrate to their wintering grounds.    

Let us know if you decide to head to the Wirral Mike and we'll do our best to catch up with you again but understand it is more difficult for you these days with the leg issues.   I still have my permit for Connah's Quay (Deeside) and can take you in on that permit.   

Absolutely, totally agree  with those birds, particularly the turnstones. Burton Mere can get quite an influx of waders at times.

Parkgate, unfortunately I don't have enough experience there, so I can't give a fair resume, but I have seen a few spectacular sights there.

I will certainly give you a shout next time I'm going up there, and with my new camera and the bonus of the 2x extender actively engaging with the R5's AF, there's plenty of opportunity to seek out the smaller and more distant wildlife.

• Good idea Hazy, I will follow your thread with interest. Lovely opening shots of the Stonechat, and good to see an empty area, over here in local village we still have good number of visitors, kids have returned to school and now it is the turn of the quieter, more sedate, oldies!!!!!

Lot to learn