Hazy's thread: October - Last day at Leighton Moss (beardies, bittern and bunting et.al )

I thought I may start this new thread for my future photos rather than posting into separate threads each time because I am conscious of multiple posts pushing other members new posts on to pages 2, 3, etc,  when I could combine all my outings/photos onto just this single thread;    all I need to do is change half the main title each time and then it gives other posters space on the main page (to add their own thread ) rather than having to go hunting for new posts as they tend to drop down too quickly these days. I will continue to use the existing threads like photo-bomb, bad pics, etc, that are already in situ as I am not creating future new threads.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here we go with this first post on my one and only thread. !    not many pics today but headed off to Leasowe on The Wirral although being so quiet there we headed then to Parkgate which was equally quiet today;   many birds skulking as they continue to moult their feathers and the tide well out so no waders inshore.  

This the view at Leasowe looking towards New Brighton/Liverpool 

We saw waders like Curlew, Redshank, Turnstone, lots of B.H.Gulls they were too distant to get decent pics as the tide needs to be well in to capture them on camera.

However,  this does not apply to Stonechats  lol.      This little beauty was posing beautifully and remained on each stem for long periods ..... not sure if this was a juvenile or adult female in mid moult. looking rather fluffy and very obliging I thought juvenile ?

young Goldfinch ........

when it turned around I noticed it had a tick on its face but hopefully once the tick has had its fill of blood it will drop off 

You can tell it's the first day back in school for children.   !!!       whole promenade to ourselves and a few dog walkers 

Parkgate was very quiet,  it has a vast salt marsh but we did spot a very distant Marsh Harrier - couldn't tell if it was adult female or juvenile 

on king/spring tide days you can get a raptor-fest spectacular with anything from hen harriers, marsh harriers, kestrels to escaping voles, mice, etc,  

also to be found are Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Stonechats.......   

In the winter you can see short eared owls

Regards, Hazel 

• Yes Hazel you do forget how small Garganey are, easy to lose among a bunch of of Teal. We did notice large numbers of Gadwall from the Causeway hide, a very underrated duck in my eyes

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Lovely photos, Hazel, thanks, and it is great that you can go back to Leighton Moss so frequently as well as to all of those other places near you. You never post 'too many pictures'! Do you know if they supplement the food for the deer at Tatton Park, especially in extreme conditions such as drought? We missed out on Burton Mere this year but fingers crossed we will get there again next year (or somewhere else you like in the vicinity!) after the meet-up at LM.

Pete, I'm with you on loving Gadwall--absolutely beautiful ducks, as are Garganey, and I do not see as many of either as I would like to.

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Do you know if they supplement the food for the deer at Tatton Park, especially in extreme conditions such as drought?

The only supplementary food I know about is that around November/December time they take a cart load of carrots out on the park to feed the deer,  mainly to help the females, many of which are then carrying young.     

Unknown said:
    We missed out on Burton Mere this year but fingers crossed we will get there again next year (or somewhere else you like in the vicinity!) after the meet-up at LM.

We'd be happy to visit Burton mere with you after the meet up next June;   in fact, yesterday just before driving back we bumped into Nigel who used to be on the forum and said we would arrange to meet up on the Wirral or at Burton Mere when there is a raptor watch (high tide). date.      Was lovely to have a quick catch up with him again and really miss his presence on this forum.    

Appreciate all the kind comments on photos and I'll try add a few more from our last day which will include the famous Bearded Tits, Great Egret again and even perhaps a Bittern  !!  

Regards, Hazel 

• Ok, here we go with yesterday's final photos from Leighton Moss rspb.    we had a fantastic few days with very good sightings and a bonus last day with a Bearded Reedling fest and 20+ birds visiting the grit tray near Grisedale Hide and a surprise albeit distant flight of a bittern that landed in the Grisedale reed bed.   So many wonderful sightings for visitors and a reserve that was buzzing !      

Here are pics of the bearded reedlings (as I prefer to call them as they are not tit birds and they are not really bearded either. LOL ). .........

typical splits pose ! 

Sitting in Grisedale hide around 9.15am I spotted a larger bird flying in from some distance away. (thank goodness for my lens replacement. LOL ). and I was able to alert other people in the hide to the incoming Bittern;    it was still a little far out for detailed photo but I cropped the photos for you .............

this is the far side beyond Lilians hide from where I first spotted it ...............    too blurred to ID in this shot 

then it approached a little nearer 

no doubting it is a bittern now as it headed for the reed beds near Grisedale ...........

not as crisp a photo as it was still a little distant for really good images ..........  but it was my first bittern in flight shot ;)

After Beardies and Bittern the other B was for Bunting ............ pretty female Reed Bunting near Grisedale .....

Great Egret 

thought you may like to see the area around the left hand side of Grisedale hide;  the area the bittern came in from and where you can often spot the Marsh Harriers quartering the reed bed

right hand side view from Grisedale hide;  again red deer can be seen especially at this time of year and rutting season,  also Marsh Harriers  and Egrets, etc., 

A view from left hand side of Lilian's hide;    the left bank was where the female Garganey was mostly spotted,  sadly we couldn't spot her on our last day but did have a good view of her the day before (when I didn't have the camera due to the day of rain. !  ).    

and this thread would not be complete without the obligatory Leighton Moss robin.    !!!     yes, I took a few waxworms with me ;)

That concludes Leighton Moss thread,  thanks for taking the time to view the pics.

Regards, Hazel 

• Fabulous to see your eyes working in tandem with the camera again Hazel, super shots all around. Sooo long since I've seen a beardie, or a bittern... or a bunting comes to that lol.
    Thanks for sharing your time away... and I hope you shouted "Variable Damsel???" at Nige lol
  • Thanks PB,    

PimperneBloke said:
    I hope you shouted "Variable Damsel???" at Nige lol

No,  but we did talk newts. !!    lol 

Regards, Hazel 

• Thank you Hazy

Love all your shots particularly the Great Egret,( can hear the shouts as it flies)CHOL:):)

and of course thank you for the views, it does so make your visits so much more enjoyable, for this old arm chair biddy ...

• A great last day Hazel,despite your photos Chris still has problems believing that Beardies exist anywhere on the MossRelaxed We need to keep going to convince her

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Many thanks Kate and Pete, it was so nice to have a change of scene and be out onto the reserve for a few days as we've had a challenging year with one thing and another so it was just what we both needed. A shame Chris didn't see any Beardies and only wish you'd been there with us yesterday as it was literally raining beardies that day and never seen so many so they must have had a fantastic breeding season with a lot of young ones seen too. A good excuse to return to LM Pete !! If you want to see the beardies, choose a calm day, better still with a little sunshine and better still October, November time !! they hate windy conditions and are fair weather birds in the main. LOL

Regards, Hazel