Swifts, Swallows & Martins, share your photos and videos here 2022

It's getting to that time of year, when those hirundinidaes, or for the less educated like me, swifts, swallows, house and sand martins are returning to the UK to breed. We've read and heard the stories where the nesting sites have been blocked, off with netting etc, here we can share the happier moments of these birds in their majesty.

They can be tricky little birds to photograph in flight, fast, darting around, up-down. flying around (for those wondering, the words came from the opening theme to Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines film, where a group of wouldbe aviators flew from London to Paris in around 25 hours during the VERY early days of flying, theme tune HERE), but why not have a go, so I'll start the 2022 thread off with, very much a case of grab the camera and shoot photos, because the sun was at the wrong angle, and hadn't been good all day to be honest.

The link to last years thread Swifts, Swallows & Martins, share your photos and videos here 2021 for those who want to look back at the many photos shared, and all were good and most welcome to view.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/277106/swifts-swallows-martins-share-your-photos-and-videos-here/1354849#pifragment-4285=1

My first swallow for 2022

My first, I think, house martin, please correct me if I'm wrong.  [post edit, sand martin, thanks to Bob and Zo for the correction]

Both taken at RSPB Conwy

• Can't believe this thread had slipped to page 10!!

The local House Martins arrived back today :o)

Are there muscles in the tail, or is it just feathers keeping steady against the window frame?

• Wow, fabulous photos, lovely to see the House Martins returning to your home PB and great close ups, don't know about any muscle in tail, certainly looks as if it is holding on by pressing the tail to the ledge,someone might be able to help. Bob the Swifts are brilliant, love that last one, glad they have returned, being in steep decline as they say.
  • House Martins 

They have finally reached me now

Saturday 14th May 2022

11 am Whitminster, Highfield Garden Centre, Gloucestershire 

Nesting 

• After all the conflict you have had over the years it's a wonder any have found their way home IaR, and good to hear from you too Dave.
  • You’re all very lucky, we normally have nesting pairs here and daily aerobic displays here in Mid Devon, but no sign. : (
  • Not a great shot, but I like how the angle shows the detail in the tail ... Slight smile

• A bit late posting these photos, but better late than never, the swifts from before I went on my hols to Bonnie Scotland.

I have some swallows and house martins from Spey Bay to share later.

• Wednesday 25th May 2022  15:36 pm 

Barn Swallow in a barn under Coaly Peak AONB Eastington, Gloucestershire.  There was lots of them flying through

the Barn  

Video of Barn Swallow perched calling