Swifts, Swallows & Martins, share your photos and videos here

  • In reply to Mike B:

    Hi Mike,
    Turning off the image stabilisation is a tip I've heard of before but always forget to implement, I must definitely remember to try shooting at high shutter speeds without it. Mostly I'm making sure that it's on and I haven't accidently turned it off in handling the camera while carrying it, it does happen and sometimes I've turned on manual focus accidentally which can be frustrating until you realise why can can't get focus.
    My camera has just had a firmware update which includes improved autofocus, I think it's mostly improved animal detect and probably won't help with small birds in flight. Just waiting for the weather to improve here in Suffolk to try it out.
    Thank you for the tips Mike,
    Best Regards,
    Trevor
  • In reply to TJS:

    TJS said:
    Hi Mike,


    Turning off the image stabilisation is a tip I've heard of before but always forget to implement, I must definitely remember to try shooting at high shutter speeds without it. Mostly I'm making sure that it's on and I haven't accidently turned it off in handling the camera while carrying it, it does happen and sometimes I've turned on manual focus accidentally which can be frustrating until you realise why can can't get focus.
    My camera has just had a firmware update which includes improved autofocus, I think it's mostly improved animal detect and probably won't help with small birds in flight. Just waiting for the weather to improve here in Suffolk to try it out.
    Thank you for the tips Mike,
    Best Regards,
    Trevor

    A lot will depend on the camera and lens used, I tend to find there's a very slight delay on the Canon/Sigma combo, and you can often see the image stabiliser trying to get the best alignment.

    I tend to do the same, forget to switch the OS off, and then forget to switch it back on again!

    As for the weather, we've got this for a few days now, it often goes dull on the lead up to the Summer Solstice. The 'late June'/'early July' should see a change for the better, but then its nature, and nature writes the rules and amends as she sees fit.....

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to Mike B:

    The forgetting to reset after changing settings is why I like using the custom settings, the G9 has 3 custom settings on a dial for quick access to a variety common scenarios, mainly based on focus patterns and ISO at 800, and turning off and on or just switching modes and back resets them if you tweak in use. sadly image stabilisation and manual focus are not part of the custom set up. If I have special setup for the day or situation I go to Aperture Priority Mode and the camera remembers them when you switch on and off.
    Trevor
  • In reply to TJS:

    TJS said:
    The forgetting to reset after changing settings is why I like using the custom settings, the G9 has 3 custom settings on a dial for quick access to a variety common scenarios, mainly based on focus patterns and ISO at 800, and turning off and on or just switching modes and back resets them if you tweak in use. sadly image stabilisation and manual focus are not part of the custom set up. If I have special setup for the day or situation I go to Aperture Priority Mode and the camera remembers them when you switch on and off.


    Trevor

    The 5D4 also has customised settings, both in the menu and rotational exposure control switch. Sometimes, I feel 2 or 3 more would be ideal.

    The autofocus and image stabilisation settings are lens dedicated, with the software being in the lens, not the camera body. If the AF and OS software was in the camera body while the hardware was in the lens body, then they could be controlled easily enough from the body.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to Mike B:

    The G9 has 2 more custom settings in an easily accessed sub-menu under the Custom 3 option, the focus pattern, but not the range, is settable in the camera but the Image Stabilisation is in both body and lens and not customisable.
    I've been shown some Swift boxes on our local church at least one of which is occupied, and I'm welcome to try for some pictures there. So the next reasonably sunny day we get I will get back to "the more I practise the luckier I get" principle and try it with the Swifts.
    Trevor
  • In reply to TJS:

    TJS said:
    The G9 has 2 more custom settings in an easily accessed sub-menu under the Custom 3 option, the focus pattern, but not the range, is settable in the camera but the Image Stabilisation is in both body and lens and not customisable.


    I've been shown some Swift boxes on our local church at least one of which is occupied, and I'm welcome to try for some pictures there. So the next reasonably sunny day we get I will get back to "the more I practise the luckier I get" principle and try it with the Swifts.
    Trevor

    You know the old saying, "practice makes perfect"....

    I look forward to your photos. 

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to Mike B:

    Hi Mike,

    I went to the Swift boxes this morning and saw one Swift leave a nest box but as I didn't see it go in I wasn't ready for it and no Swift went near it again after waiting half an hour or so.. There wasn't much action in the air, I think the Swifts are out and about and flying very high so I'll try again later.

    I did manage a couple pics but it is very much a work in progress.

    Plus a Starling giving me practise.

    Regards

    Trevor

  • In reply to TJS:

    Fabulous photos Trevor, and the clarity of  last one complete with pellet in beak, superb.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • being an early riser, (not quite as early as those swifts though....), I made the best of the morning light, cooler temps and lower flying swifts to try and get some half decent photos.

    It was tough, with the swifts flying low, often below of close to rooftop level the windows of opportunity were very short, extremely short!

    Friday 16th

    and Saturday 17th

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to Mike B:

    Hi Mike,

    You're getting there, I haven't managed anything as clear with Swifts in flight yet and the only ones of Swallows in flight are of take off shots as I've shared before.

    This is a favourite pair showing post envy.

    Best Wishes,

    Trevor