Another sunny day in Suffolk and a trip to Dunwich Heath with Dartford Warblers in mind.

Stuck at home on a beautifully sunny day on Wednesday while our boiler was fixed we didn't think our luck would hold for another day, but Thursday was just as bright so we headed for the coast to Dunwich Heath. We hadn't seen Dartford Warblers this winter so a still and sunny day seemed like a good chance of putting that right.

First a walk along the beach, calm seas and lots of Cormorants way out to sea and a Seal but nothing very close. Up on the Heath the birds were very quite and virtually nothing showing.

Then up popped this Robin very close and happy to pose. 

We sat on a bench in the middle of the heath for our lunch and after a while things started to happen, sadly at a distance but at least we were watching Dartford Warblers at last.

We've always been told that Dartfords like to hang out with Stonechats, and today was no exception.

You can't see me, right?

Oh you can.

Back under cover then.

The Stonechats were very happy in the open.

Then a very distant Dartford got it's eye in on a fly of some sort.

Got it!

More Stonechat/Dartford interaction.

Further along on the Heath some more Dartfords started showing in the open this time.

There's a famous pose that people like with Bearded Tits, lets try that.

This is more comfortable.

We saw at least 5, probably 6, different Dartford Warblers during our walk, a record for us I think.

You never know when you're going to have a good day, this one started full of optimism because of the beautiful weather, then pessimism because we weren't seeing much, then ended as you can see above.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Super quality pics as always Trevor...I can even see the reflection in RRB eye of the surrounding area the picture is that sharp! AMAZING!!!..Dartford Warblers now added to my wish to see bird list. Action shots are great aswell. Hope you got the boiler sorted...we have 2 new bathrooms getting fitted next week so I hope the sun is shining here so we can get the hell out whilst they work lol
  • Thank you Linda,
    I've just realised that not only can you see the surrounding area in the Robins eye, but that the the two tiny little figures are me and my wife, I've not posted a picture with us in before.
    The heating (and cooking) is now back up and running, thank you.
    Best Wishes,
    Trevor.
  • oooh. fabulous shots and especially green with envy over the Dartford Warbler as I've yet to see one; let me know when you've set up your tour guide with accommodation business LOL
  • Fabulous photos Trevor, and it seems the UK is being adorned with lots of sunshine, at long last and its good to see folk making the best of the sun while its here.

• Copy Cat... I hope you realise that as we appear to be sharing them, I won't see any for ages now?? lol
    Beautiful pictures as always Trevor, and I see a couple of them are rung (ringed? rang?) I can't make out any code on them though :o(

Thanks for sharing such beauties
  • Drooling here!!!!!!! I've had a lovely day out looking at waders on a fairly local beach in the sunshine and now have the pleasure of seeing stunning photos of the Stonechat and D. Warbler, can't get any better:-)