Odds & Sods 2022

It's probably an ideal time to start the 2022 Odds & Sods thread off, with some squabbling starlings....

To view the 2021 thread, click HERE

This pair of starlings were having a right old go at each other, whilst another nipped in to the coconut shell for a food

• Good selection BD fascinating stuff and great photos
  • Great shots. They're pretty scary things when you zoom in. I would not like to be fly sized and see one of those coming at me. It would be like something out of a sci-fi film ... Scream

• First winter thrush pic for me this winter... obviously obscured, distant, and with the wrong lens on the camera...but Hey! it's the first of the season lol

• Thanks. It is a wonderful area and not far from Buxton. I think most deer watchers would recommend Big Moor and White Edge although they do travel and reside on adjacent moors and in the woodlands. You can walk around or cross Big moor in 2 or 3 hours and also take in the granite edges which hold their own lovely wildlife. (White Edge, Baslow Edge, Curbar Edge and Froggatt Edge). I would recommend the highlands on Baslow Edge if you get a chance, when they are right on the edge overlooking the view all the way over to Chatsworth or over to Eyam it is quite something.

• PimperneBloke said:

First winter thrush pic for me this winter... obviously obscured, distant, and with the wrong lens on the camera...but Hey! it's the first of the season lol

That's my usual trick. Put the macro on and see something at a distance, put the zoom on and want macro. Carry both and see nothing .... aaargh!

• Thanks Bob. Definitely on my to see list ... Thumbsup

• What fantastic photos and video! The stags look amazing and the doe's are just lovely, I love the way you've caught the light, just at the right angle - well done!! And what an awesome experience to have! Thanks for sharing Blush
  • Thanks :) When the sunrise hits the deer on the moors, especially when the heather is out, it can be quite breathtaking. I still prefer the ones in the woods below though. Passing through and feeling eyes upon you and then occasionally seeing one as still as a rock, close but blended in, just watching you. Always a bit of an adrenalin rush, even when it's not the rutting season.
  • I can imagine it would be breathtaking. Some years ago my friend and I went to Coopers Deer park (here in bonny Scotland) and the first deer we saw was a new mum. A few minutes of watching her, I saw movement, and there was a little "Bambi"!! Turns out it was only 4days old. Couldn't help myself, I had to go close, the fawn came to the fence and I was able to scratch it's chin! An employee passed by and told me to be careful. As mum was standing watching me and not moving, I said to the person that if mum thought me to be a threat, then she would have come between us!! She trusted me and that was a thrill for me! Lol
  •  During a recent visit to Church Stretton, I came across the most adorable looking sheep. I think I was in its way, but luckily, the sheep was extremely pleasant and even let me take its photo Slight smile