WWT Welney.... First Day

Mrs PB and myself are just returned from 4 nights at WWT Welney, staying in a cottage that is basically in the reserve car park. This is not a negative thing, waking to the sounds of the geese and swans was somehow rather magical. (The only downside as far as I was concerned was that the reserve didn't open until 10, and being an early riser for work, sunrise would have been a fabulous opening time!)

After some consultation with the kindly folk here, we decided on a plan of stopping at Cambridge on the way up Saturday, Wicken Fen Sunday, into Ely Monday, and we'd arranged for a "warden walk" at Welney for the Tuesday, before the reserve was open to the general public, and depending how that was (and the weather conditions) we'd wing it for Tuesday afternoon.

It was a really smooth run up, and we were in Cambridge about 10, which gave us plenty of time to mooch about the city (it seemed much nicer than Oxford was a couple of years ago!!) and there was a graduation ceremony going on at one of the colleges. Seeing all those fresh faced, hopeful youngsters in their wonderful robes, caps and gowns, their proud parents with cameras at the ready. Oh, how little they know of the real world, outside of academia..... the grind and drudge of real life....still...they'll learn soon enough lol

So, Sunday, Wicken Fen... 

Greeted by a Pheasant just outside the visitor centre

And that was about it, until we were 3/4 the way round.... suddenly Mr Stonechat popped up

And a little further another of the family was spied

Across the field one of the ecologically friendly pumping stations stood proudly

Overhead, I could hear a sound...

I think we missed a trick by only doing the NT bit and not doing the wider Wicken, but that was the decision, and we headed back to Welney for our first proper perusal..

From the observation centre was a stunning view, but I didn't realise quite how much the glass would distort some of the pictures, nevertheless, plenty came out fine!!

There were a lot of Greylag, but apparently nowhere near as many as will be there later in the winter

Black Tailed Godwit nestled with Lapwing on the scrape opposite, and the East Anglian flatness is evident!

One of the few female Pochard drifted by... the majority head to the south of France whilst the menfolk sort out nesting sites etc

Suddenly whizzing by the window a Kestrel

I thought this was a female Mallard, but there's a definite hint of blue to the beak so I was wondering if it was female or juvenile Pintail?

The first of many Marsh Harrier sightings

A cloud of Lapwings, probably put up by the Marsh harrier

There were a good number of Shoveler about

Unfortunately, the females were more accommodating than the males!

Similarly, the Wigeon didn't seem to want to come into camera range... not sure if this is juvenile, eclipsing or female....or all three!!

On the way to another hide we met one of the numerous Lawnmowers!

And on the path what I think is a Dark Bush Cricket

In the next hide we were treated to a fine example of CADS.... Corvid Automatic Defence System

About 10 minutes later, the Marsh Harrier has ditched his shadow, and was much closer to the ground, on the prowl

Go, go Gadget legs! Who knew they were that long?!

I don't know if Lapwing are too big, or the Marshie just fancied something else, but these two just sort of sat there!

It was ticking round to closing time, so we made our way back to the centre, and then the 30 second walk to the cottage, properly impressed with WWT Welney.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed.

Day 2 to follow presently!!

Stay Safe All