Getting a bit further from home with Lockdown Easing

With Stay Local ended I've started going a few miles from home to look for wildlife somewhere a bit different. On Monday I got out with my wife for a walk along the River Deben at Woodbridge for a scene change. The tide was too high most of the time for waders but with the sunny but cold weather there was plenty of small flying insects about and chasing them in the bushes by the river were Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps plus lots of House Martins flying over our heads.

Blackcaps were singing for us.

This bird was darting everywhere chasing flies.

Got one at last.

The Chiffchaffs were also singing a lot.

They also put a lot of time and energy into chasing the little flies

This Wren appeared to be collecting nest material, it disappeared into some Ivy with this beak full.

To finish off, what I assume are some Black-tailed Godwits.

Trevor

• I agree with Ann, so much detail, cracking photos, and I especially love the first of the swallow pics, that face has more than a look of determination. I feel for the poor flying, or is that fleeing, insect....

As for missing the kestrel get its lunch, I don't know, camera should always be in hand... LOL

• That part of the Suffolk Coast is my wife's favourite, accessed down a single track lane, with miles of shingle beach and a rich habitat behind the coastal defences and never very many people about. It's also a good place to see incoming migrants, birds that is, however there's been stories of people landing there too (probably because of it's remoteness). Here are a couple of scenery shots from yesterday. The distant buildings are a couple Martelo Towers left over from the Napoleonic Wars some of which have been converted into Grand Design type homes, the one most distant was featured on Channel 4 with Sandi Toksvig and Alison Steadman recently.(Called Extraordinary Escapes with Sandi Toksvig))

Trevor

• It's not the first time I've been caught with the camera just out of reach whilst eating, the worst miss was a White Tailed Eagle suddenly lifting off with what looked like a lamb having been unseen behind some rocks until it took off, and close enough for a decent photo had I been ready (This was on Harris in the Outer Hebrides). Such is life, I do enjoy my food better without balancing a camera in my right hand whilst trying to eat with my left with the risk of dropping one or the other or tragedy both.
    Trevor.
  • Superb shots again Trevor, the Swallow pics are amazing. I saw Reed Bunting today but even within two yards or so your pics are depicting the markings so much clearer :-) Yes I saw Sandi with Alison Steadman, I think that was the first one of the series in Suffolk, amazing houses.

Lot to learn

• TJS said:
    It's not the first time I've been caught with the camera just out of reach whilst eating, the worst miss was a White Tailed Eagle suddenly lifting off with what looked like a lamb having been unseen behind some rocks until it took off, and close enough for a decent photo had I been ready (This was on Harris in the Outer Hebrides). Such is life, I do enjoy my food better without balancing a camera in my right hand whilst trying to eat with my left with the risk of dropping one or the other or tragedy both.

Trevor.

We've all been there.

Pre-covid, I would have the camera set up on a tripod/gorillapod in a hide. Post covid, with hides understandably closed, I set the big tripod up, point in hopefully the right general direction, and hope while I nibble away at lunch.

Incidentally, I've just purchased one of those Walkstools, and used it last Sunday for the first time. I went for the highest and it was just about right for me with the camera on the tripod. I'm looking forward to the next time I'm out with the same set up.

• I do a lot of my photography handheld while out walking with my wife so portability was the biggest factor in choosing the Lumix G9 Micro 4/3 system. With it's excellent image stabilisation coupled with a 800mm equivalent telephoto and relatively low weight I find it very easy to use handheld and can use slow shutter speeds but that needs the birds to keep still and with photographing many birds, especially small ones, when then shutter speed needs a tripod it's too slow for the flighty birds anyway. I do have a monopod but don't use it very often.
    Let us know how you get on with the Walkstool (I assume you mean the Swedish one I've seen on Amazon), as I've been tempted for when I'm waiting for something to happen and the ground is either too wet or uncomfortable to sit on.
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    I do a lot of my photography handheld while out walking with my wife so portability was the biggest factor in choosing the Lumix G9 Micro 4/3 system. With it's excellent image stabilisation coupled with a 800mm equivalent telephoto and relatively low weight I find it very easy to use handheld and can use slow shutter speeds but that needs the birds to keep still and with photographing many birds, especially small ones, when then shutter speed needs a tripod it's too slow for the flighty birds anyway. I do have a monopod but don't use it very often.

Let us know how you get on with the Walkstool (I assume you mean the Swedish one I've seen on Amazon), as I've been tempted for when I'm waiting for something to happen and the ground is either too wet or uncomfortable to sit on.
    Trevor

It is the Swedish one.

Any setup is primarily driven by your circumstances, and while I prefer a DSLR, I wouldn't knock a bridge or similar camera. I have used bridge cameras in the past successfully, and currently enjoy using a Canon SX280 compact which is very good and versatile, with full auto or full manual settings and a reasonable zoom, when out with my wife or family.

First impressions of the Walkstool are good. it was comfy to sit on, hugging me like an arm chair but only around the bum, whilst I ate lunch and monitored the wildlife ongoings with the camera on the tripod. My setup is basically the Canon 5D4 (using the remote shutter release) with Sigma 150-600 lens, and the sturdy Manfrotto 290 Xtra Alu 3-Section Tripod Kit with 128RC Fluid Head.

The only time I nearly toppled the Walkstool was because I hadn't spread the three legs fully, which would happen with any small stool, three legs or more.

The Walkstool packs away neatly into its packing net bag, the only thing I need to sort out is how to attach securely it to the tripod carrier, or even tripod whilst strapped to the tripod carrier, while being able to detach it to use. I think I may have the idea.

Initially, it will strap easily to a small 30ltr rucksack, which carries a tripod (Manfrotto Compact Advanced Tripod) and either a big lens or camcorder, and of course, the days food and drink supplies.

As for the muddy scenario, they've already thought of that one with the Walkstool Steady!

http://www.walkstool.com/steady

How good it is, or will be I've no idea, but the idea is certainly there. I've not bought the steady, for its doubtful I'll be out and about in muddy conditions (pre-accident I was happy to be out in all weathers, fair or foul), by force, not choice, because post accident, if I fall, its almost impossible for me to get up again without assistance, otherwise, I would buy it and try it out.

• Mike,
    Thanks for the info about the Walkstool, could be a useful addition to my kit.
    My previous camera was a Lumix FZ1000 which I still use when I want to travel lighter and ultimate reach and resolution are not so important. Video wise the FZ1000 is more versatile as it has a 25-400mm range in it's one lens and fairly good resolution with it's 1 inch sensor.
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    Mike,

Thanks for the info about the Walkstool, could be a useful addition to my kit.
    My previous camera was a Lumix FZ1000 which I still use when I want to travel lighter and ultimate reach and resolution are not so important. Video wise the FZ1000 is more versatile as it has a 25-400mm range in it's one lens and fairly good resolution with it's 1 inch sensor.
    Trevor

You're welcome.

• I've now invested in a 60cm Basic Walkstool and used it for the first time at Minsmere on Wednesday, it was great for setting up in a sheltered spot overlooking a likely area in the Gorse and waiting to see what turned up, for the results see my post "Minsmere - Last visit before the hides open - hopefully"
    Many Thanks Mike.
    Trevor