Bold Robin

There is a Robin that regularly appears whenever I'm near my workshop where I fill the bird feeders and every now and then it takes a mealworm from the hand. This morning I managed some photos of the Robin taking a mealworm from my wife's hand The pictures are a bit grainy as it was early and the light was not good so had to use a very high ISO to get the shutter speed up high enough but pleased with the results none the less.

• Well you are taken with this bird malarkey! Enjoying a glass of wind and nibbles and a good catch up, to stop and go home for his nibs treats! Ruined or what is that Robin of yours! Nice to see your wee pal again. I like your garden.

• The Robin story is moving along nicely. We found out that his nest is in a neighbours garden 2 doors away in the back of a shed and he was heading that way with increasing numbers of mealworms in his beak (up to 7) and more and more often, plus our neighbour whose garden he lives in is feeding him too. Quite often he turns up with the result of his own foraging in his beak and adds mealworms to that. A couple of days ago he stopped heading for the neighbours garden with food and is now heading to various points in our hedge. Eventually I managed to see a little speckled Robin chick moving through the hedge keeping well under cover and I'm sure there is a least two of them as dad heads off in quite different directions with food and is straight back for more.

I've also noticed what I think is a female asking for food from him, could this be a different female or would he be pair bonding with the same female for a second brood?

Trevor

Taking the maximum amount of mealworms to the nest.

Breaking off from foraging to get some mealworms, the black worm and other little insect he had on arrival and he's added one mealworm.

Tops up before heading off.

Could this be his partner or a new female asking for food?

A fleeting glimpse of one of the chicks moving through the hedge, mostly they're being fed out of sight deep in the hedge or in undergrowth at the base of the hedge.

• Lovely pics and it is great that your Robin trusts you enough to take meal worms from you. We saw our Robin collecting and carrying food into next door's garden for a time, and today I saw a Robin with nesting material diving off our fence to the narrow space between our fence and the garage next door, almost exactly to the same place where the Robins had a nest last year and only a few feet away from the spot where they seemed to be taking food (from our lawn and feeders) earlier this year, both spots just over our fence and both in the greenery in the narrow space of about 8 inches between our fence and that neighbour's garage. Perhaps this is nest building for a second brood this year.
  • Wonderful to get a shot of the young Robin Trevor, and your Robin is evidently doing a grand job looking after both family and his female. I only read the other day that the female will hand over feeding duties to the male while she goes off and starts another nest. No wonder they are glad of our help.
  • Fabulous photos Trevor, and thank you for keeping us up to date.

• Our Robin is still feeding his young and partner, there's at least 2 fledglings being fed and they are getting a bit bolder about feeding less deep in the hedge and I've managed to get a few shots of them being fed.

Almost in the open, just a leaf blurring the shot.

Just missed the hand over.

Waiting for a worm.

A flurry of wings.

And to great disappointment, dad goes straight past, off to the other fledgling.

At last, the handover of a worm.

And another handover.

The partner waiting for her worm.

Just missed the handover.

Waiting for dad to bring a worm.

Trevor

• A wonderful collection, Trevor--thanks! Great closeup of the little one, too.
  • How lovely to catch up with your Robin family Trevor, great to see the young being fed. Our Robins are going about with worms and sitting in the fence, they must be nests next door. I tell them I feed you all year round and you go and nest elsewhere!
  • Our Robins chose to nest in our neighbours garden 2 doors away and she's been feeding them with some mealworms that she got from us. Now the young have fledged they are regularly in our hedge, which doesn't border any neighbours just the local playing field.