Odds & Sods 2021

Time to start this year's thread of odds and sods    (Last year's Odds & Sods HERE

Today a large flock of 40 or so Redwings descended on the fields around our local parkland and although they were pretty skittish and distant I hard cropped a few pics for you ....

and a blue tit landed nearby  !   

• Nice footage.

We've regular hoggie activity here. I suspect two now I've moved the cam a little and have something to use as a height gauge. The shorter one seems to be more in a hurry while the larger one ambles around.

• Unknown said:

It was below Froggatt and Curbar edge in the woods that I came across the big stag last year, just towards the end of rutting. I heard a bellow in the woods and followed the path (obviously carefully) and it all went quiet. Then 10 minutes later as I walked on and still quiet he let out an almight bellow right below me in amongst the trees, probably 20 yards away or less. Scared the life out of me. A moment I'll remember, he's such an incredible animal and I think quite famous in the local area.

I don't mind White Edge but it does seem to go on forever, I prefer Curbar and Froggatt or going up on to Big Moor itself. Baslow is nice for the highlands (which have a bit of a sad story) and all three of those edges have fantastic views. I think White Edge, apart from deer watching, really just overlooks fields which is why possibly it feels like it goes on a bit.

I've only ever seen the deer on the Sheffield side of White Edge, but I'm more than sure they'll wander across both moors. I've seen the Highland cattle on Curbar Edge, around Curbar Gap a few times.

I think for me, the least liked part of Froggatt Edge, is the trek from the A625 southwards, it seems to go on for an eternity.

I was hoping to get up to the border of Froggatt and Curbar, as you look across Big Moor towards White Edge, there's usually a good display of cotton grass, but the chances are with the unsettled weather conditions we're enjoying, I'll not make it this year.

What was the sad story of the Highland cattle Bob?

• As the sun burst out yesterday, the pond lily just burst open into full flower, but as the sun faded away, it too closed, so I set the camcorder up in hope of capturing that moment, but alas, never work with children, animals or plants!

But the fish were very obliging, I've a couple of videos of the fish in our pond to sort out later, after a feed, they were particularly active making for good photo and video moments.

• Hi Mike

You can read about it here, It also hit the BBC news for the local area too.
    peakedinterest.co.uk/.../

• Unknown said:

Hi Mike

You can read about it here, It also hit the BBC news for the local area too.
    peakedinterest.co.uk/.../

Cheers Bob, and a frustratingly sad story.

• Wow!
    What a beautiful sight.
  • Sorry - that was meant for the little owl!
  • After the one that got away, now for the one that I caught teatime last night!

I note his aim is a flying perfect bulls eye for the hole in the feeder, (sadly a very blurred image not shareable), and he also has a suet pellet in beak as he approaches, not leaves the feeder!

Also observed this early morning (sadly camera wasn't at hand) junior that hangs around with his dad, the only visiting male BB with the white markings on his plumage, has also got the aim and attack just perfect this morning, but that was until dad told junior off!

• A few from the garden

I'm tempted to think this blackbird is the alpha male, he is the only one that comes close, and chases off others, and seems to keep the juveniles in check.

Mr HS telling me to move on so he can get to the feeders....

This one seems to follow the above blackbird around, but won't get close. If it is the same one, he's sussed out a way to get food....

Buzzard just passing through.

Greenfinch

• Whilst trying to get some half decent photos of swifts in flight, I think I was interrupting Mr HS's breakie!

He was waiting to get on the feeder just in front of me......