Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

I was sent this BBC News link today which shows a rare UK sighting of a Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53383387

• Unknown said:
    I don't know if I'll try for it.

It looks as if it may be around for a while Nige and sightings most days and sometimes seen intermittently throughout the day.    Weather wasn't brilliant for us but at least we saw it on our first recce so I'd keep it on your to see list  !    

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:

Nigel O said:
    I don't know if I'll try for it.

It looks as if it may be around for a while Nige and sightings most days and sometimes seen intermittently throughout the day.    Weather wasn't brilliant for us but at least we saw it on our first recce so I'd keep it on your to see list  !    

Could be doing a reccie for further BV's....

• Unknown said:
    We actually drove up one side of Ladybower and got to Fairholmes just after 7,15 am - it wasn't bad for parking with plenty of space and when we headed back to Cutthroat Bridge the huge layby had tons of parking until around 10am when lots of walkers/hikers arrived and by the time we got back to the car before noon there wasn't a space to be seen and they were parked up both sides of the crescent shaped layby ! We got up at 5am and headed out before 6am so if you decide to go I'd get there early; the vulture was seen about 4 times whilst I was there, we first saw it around 8,30'ish - seems a long time ago now lol

I'm hoping to get there on Sunday, weather permitting, unless the weather suddenly takes a turn for the better Saturday, which I very much doubt.

I'll start with Fairholmes, then move to Cutthroat as required.

Yes, it is a big layby at Cutthroat Bridge. The last time I was there was Easter 2013, when I walked along Derwent Edge, then across to Moscar, in snow!

The layby was an ice rink when I returned with my walking partner, glad I parked right at the top, out of the way....

Cutthroat Bridge

Highshaw Clough

Moscar

• Weather looks ok for Sunday Mike so good luck if you go, tomorrow and Monday don't look so brilliant. The vulture has been spotted a few times today so I'm sure you'll be successful.

Regards, Hazel 

• That's a relief, thanks for the update Alan, I guess it often shelters in the rock ledges when weather is grim.

Regards, Hazel 

• Hope it is today's sighting, nothing listed on BirdGuides; guess Wales and Scotland would be good alternatives with suitable habitat and perhaps a little safer for it.

Regards, Hazel 

• That's good Alan, wasn't there when I searched. A relief to know its around.

Regards, Hazel 

• An update from my drive up to Ladybower & Cutthroat Bridge,

Nowt.

Though a lot of buzzards over the Derwent Valley were active in the area, and there was even a lonesome cormorant flew up Ladybower, and goldfinches at Cutthroat Bridge

Not being negative, the previous days weather had been yuk, and the barometer for Sunday had probably reached its rock bottom.

A few thoughts to share from Sunday's visit, which BTW I didn't feel was a wasted journey, it got me out the house of nowt else.

• Weather: the weather was closing in
    • Food/carcase availability (it is red grouse country among other inhabitants)
    • Human activity

Often wildlife can detect when the weather is not suitable to go searching for food, or any other activities, but probably the most likely cause for no sighting during the day would be human activity.

Derwent Edge is a popular walking area, and from what I saw, it certainly was full of human activity, probably more than normal, but I'd say enough to send any wildlife away.

Assuming it is still in the area and not letting the inclement weather halter its feeding, there would be a good chance it will have flown further in Howden Moor, to avoid human activity.

BTW, Howden Moors can be a very hostile place if you get caught out in inclement weather.

I'm looking at making a return visit, depending on the weather, and how sightings fair between now and then.

• Morning Mike, sorry you didn't catch sight of the vulture but as you say, it's good to get out for a change of scenery. Weather has been so unsettled, today is even worse although a promise of 28 and sunshine on Friday for most of us. There seemed to be a lot more people hiking across the moors/hills when we were there as people are able to break out of lockdown and reacquaint themselves with the great outdoors. Hope you are able to get in another visit and are successful in seeing this rare bird next time. Thanks for the update.

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Morning Mike, sorry you didn't catch sight of the vulture but as you say, it's good to get out for a change of scenery. Weather has been so unsettled, today is even worse although a promise of 28 and sunshine on Friday for most of us. There seemed to be a lot more people hiking across the moors/hills when we were there as people are able to break out of lockdown and reacquaint themselves with the great outdoors. Hope you are able to get in another visit and are successful in seeing this rare bird next time. Thanks for the update.

Morning Hazel,

Well, you know the old saying: "Never work with animals of children", but  I'm a great believer in making the best while you can.

Yes, the outdoors is 'enduring' a surge in folk getting out there. That I feel is due to lockdown and the threat of a second wave of Covid19. If it wasn't for the consequences to the NHS and innocent families, I'd say open the football stadiums back up to spread human activity.

As humans, we need to be active, and if things are taken away, for whatever reason, we'll find something/somewhere else to go. Anyone who's had dogs, cats or other pets and their favourite toy (the animals choice and not necessarily your choice) is removed, and what do they do, find something else to fulfil the mischievous activity with.

The weather for the week ahead, going by the Countryfile weather, is set to be unsettled. However, officially, I'm on holiday for the next couple of weeks, so I can at random just go, and unless things dictate different, that's what I'll do.