Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

I was sent this BBC News link today which shows a rare UK sighting of a Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53383387

• From what I heard when I was at Cutthroat Bridge Alan, someone said one or two people were encroaching on the area very near its roosting site at Abbey Brook despite pleas to stay within the highlighted areas to view the bird. Having said that, I guess naturally the bird will eventually move on as it finds new sources of food.     As they rarely cross bodies of water I wonder if it is here to stay in UK.

• Those two later sightings on the north side of Bleaklow, near the Woodhead Resv, are around 10km from from Abbey Brook.

• I'm not on FB Alan but I can see the video clip and post. Good to know this bird is safe.
  • interesting update Alan as its heading southwards - maybe I better drive on ahead to Baslow or Chatsworth House !

• Middle Black Clough is Bleaklow, some 10km from Abbey Brook, where it is supposed to be residing, and subsequently moving southwards Froggat Edge and Hathersage, which is around 15km from Abbey Brook, suggests it is searching, either for food or an undisturbed nest, but I'm only wild guessing.

My wild guesses are based on the fact, it was very close to the Moscar Estate, and being such a high profile bird, with the 12 August, the start of the grouse shooting season getting closer, I wonder if it's been encouraged (deliberate choice of wording) to move on!

I was planning on making a weekday trip, and while I appreciate the odds are stacked against seeing the bird, I'd rather go with a shouting chance than none.

BTW, I'm having problems reactivating my Bird Guide acc, and similar probs setting a new one up, so I'm very reliant on what I read and hear....

• All pretty much in the same area, Hathersage and Grindleford aren't too far apart, Longstone Edge is near Calver, which isn't far from Froggatt and Curbar Edges.

• Not seen anything today on BGuides so makes me wonder if some people are not reporting the vulture on RBA with it being so close to grouse shooting season and the BV being in one of the worst areas in the country for raptor persecution, despite the fact this bird only takes carrion. Folk may be reluctant to give precise location for this bird and with one or two getting too close to its roosting site in order to get photos. If you venture out tomorrow Alan and Mike I have fingers crossed you will see this amazing bird. Even though our view was not a close encounter there is absolutely no mistaking it as it's like nothing else on earth that I can think of in UK lol
  • Not that far from ladybower then and cutthroat bridge where we were before  ?

• Best of luck, Alan and MikeB--hope you see the bird tomorrow.
  • Thanks Ann, I'm not expecting to see the BV, but it won't be without trying. Never work with animals.... LOL

I'm far from an expert, though I have been reading up on the BV, and from what I've grasped, Stannington/Dungworth is not natural territory. So I'm tempted to think it was possibly a buzzard and made for a good publicity stunt to drum up trade.

I'm still making the trip up to the Peaks, I have a couple of locations as starting points, unless I come across later info that suggests different.

Right, all set up, bed now, and I'll catch up with you guys further along the keyboard....