Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

I was sent this BBC News link today which shows a rare UK sighting of a Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53383387

• It's high time grouse shooting was banned, I've signed every petition & shall continue to do so!  I've never been able to comprehend the fuss over a few raptors taking a few grouse when there are vast numbers of these non-native birds bred just to be shot for fun ... doesn't sit well with me!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• All hell would break loose if these gamekeepers were to shoot and kill this bird. It's not a threat to Grouse anyway because they are scavengers and eat bones. I totally agree that Grouse shooting should be banned, the trouble is that there's big money and influence behind all this so it's going to be difficult. 

WendyBartter said:
    grouse when there are vast numbers of these non-native birds bred just to be shot for fun

Just on a point of fact, Red Grouse are a native species. At one time they were thought to be the only endemic species in the UK. I believe it has now been shown that they are a sub-species of the Willow Grouse which is widespread in Northern Europe. Nevertheless, I shall keep on endorsing petitions to stop driven Grouse shooting.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Same here, I too have signed many petitions, to no avail so far, just have to keep on trying.
    What fabulous sightings of the Lammergeier, what a bird.

Lot to learn

• Hi

it's a great bird but almost certainly from the re-introduction scheme

Brit birders tend to call such birds 'plastic'
    American birders say 'ersatz'

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Really interesting link Alan, thanks for that.

Regards, Hazel 

• It seems that wherever these large birds fly there is danger, interesting to read that article Alan.

Lot to learn

• Exciting stuff, and while I know some have managed to see it, being predominantly over the Howden Moors, which, being disabled, is a no-go area for me, though there has been sightings over Ladybower, which will have parking issues (a long standing issue for years) going by the current scenario at many beauty spots.

• 32 miles and around 1hr. 11m from our place to Cutthroat bridge - tempting LOL

Regards, Hazel 

• Go for it Hazy, you won't get the chance too often I should think, you too Mike.

Lot to learn