A Grass Verge Nature Reserve

I decided to escape the confines of house and garden yesterday and take the car for a self isolating drive, the battery needed charging!

On one of our back roads I found this amazing display of Cowslips, it was a roadside verge with white markers and signs at about 100ft apart with a sign on both stating this was a designated nature reserve so no spraying or cutting. So it was around 100ft long and 20/30ft wide along the roadside. Must be the smallest nature reserve I've ever found.

• Firstly well done on braving the outside world again Tony, and secondly, what a lovely find. Sure to find some fluttery things in amongst that lot :o)
    Quite a lot of councils are now leaving verges to grow wild, but not designating them LNR's...not sure if it's cost cutting or wildlife encouraging, or if one is an accidental by-product of the other!
  • Wow, what a wonderful display of Cowslips. I don't think I've ever seen so many in my life.

My car has been standing in the drive for three weeks of confinement. I'm wondering if it will start.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• It was quite strange PB, its 5 weeks now I've been "shielding" so little surreal. Last time I was out the trees were still bare and hedges only just showing leaf buds. Its a different world out there now!
    It was on a back road I very rarely use so a lucky find. I agree a lot of councils don't mow or weed kill verges any more I think mainly driven by cost with the added benefit of encouraging wildlife. I'm tempted to go back with proper camera as I only had my phone with me. There is also a bluebell wood on the route I drove, tempting.
  • We have a lot of grass verges around my area with cowslips Tony but this verge was totally smothered in them and the only one with signs saying its a nature reserve. I'm very tempted to go back with a proper camera as I only had my phone.
    I would have thought your car should be ok after 3 weeks Tony but depends on age and car. My wife car was fine sat for 7 weeks the other year but mine I had to put on a trickle charger because of the nature of its electronics. My current car comes with an App that monitors all its functions and it sent me an email saying the stop/start battery was flat and either take it for a 20/30ml drive or put it on charge. Time to find the charger now but could just claim it needs a wellbeing drive every 3/4 weeks.
  • Tony T said:
    I'm tempted to go back with proper camera

Well do it Tony, if it's a back route there is practically zero danger of other people, so your isolation/shielding should continue, and the mental benefits of seeing/feeling/smelling the beauty of nature (especially a bluebell wood) shouldn't be underestimated!

• Gorgeous pics of the Cowslips Tony, and my hubby used to say that the car just had to have a run every so often to clean out the valves (or something) so I take mine out now once a week or so.

Lot to learn

• I can't imagine how it must have felt going out after so long but you've made a nice little find.

Nige   Flickr