The Young of 2020

I usually start this thread by cheating and having a pic of a baby Feral Pigeon that I have rescued. Not this year. Today, the first of the Little, Little HTR's arrived in the garden, right on schedule. It is currently in the flowering currant. Little HTR has been taking dozens of waxies to the nest and this morning I noticed him going via the flowering currant. I just had a little look and saw a fledgling in there.

• I did wonder if one was on the way when you said one of the pair of adults had stopped coming some time ago. Glad to see it's arrived. Perhaps another may yet appear, too - no idea what a typical brood size is.
  • and then there were two   !!   (pic still taken through the glass front door)

only managed one quick pic before one juvie flew off.

I took a tiny bit of video so I'll see what it looks like and add it here later if its worth viewing 

Here's the video clip which is just less than a minute.    Hope to get better tomorrow -without filming through glass doors.

https://youtu.be/9L_0joyoOVE

• Unknown said:
    no idea what a typical brood size is

About 140 going by the Decibel level!!!

• This a cheeky young thing in that video, demanding to be fed, then when the parents backs are turned, its feeding itself!

Damned cheek of youngsters today! Grinning

Seriously, nice pics and vid Thumbsup

• I think you have a first here Hazy of young Tree Sparrows, great pics and video, through window or not it is still a proper treat to see.
  • Think I'll just have a peer round the post....

• I guess it's about time I added something else to this thread. Patio Robin has been absent for two weeks now, so I can't see him returning. Mr & Mrs GT have been taking wax worms and mealies from the kitchen and their offspring have been chirruping in the apple tree next door for the past week. I finally managed to get some pics of them as well as some of the young Spadgers and the juvenile Starlings. The Pigeon Mafia were joined by a juvenile Wood Pigeon for three days. It arrived and departed with them, as well as feeding on the patio with them. It also joined them on the roof. The only Wood Pigeon behaviour that I saw was when it perched in the tree rather than flying up to the roof. I assume it has rejoined the Woodies that inhabit the area nearby.

Spadgers in the Pyracantha

I suspect this is the male

Very young Starling

Starlings in the Babbling Boulders

Young Wood Pidge

Chilling in the gutter

Young GT

Young Woodie in the apple tree

This was the only time I managed to get two juveniles together

• A lovely set of photos Paul and good to see all the juvenile newcomers to your garden; you're going to have to order more mealies and waxies soon !! Sparrows here are always waiting for the door to open and the live food to be chucked out ! As soon as they hear the door handle they appear out of the bushes LOL One little lady sparrow just sits on the door handle peering in when they run out … just to remind me to top up the supply ! Gotta luv 'em.
  • We've had so many BT's about the garden yesterday and today, it must be fledging time for BT & GT this past 2 days. I reckon there have been at least 3 BT families fledged and 2 GT families, not to mention the dozens of Starlings but that's another post.

Mrs T took these today about 3mts from our seats. I think this one had just fledged today, a bit clumsy and so vulnerable.

And above our seats under the Clematis Montana.

• Lovely pictures and video. I enjoy seeing sparrows as where I live I don't see them anymore and they're fab little birds!