Time to venture out........

So after years of standing watching wildlife come and go in the garden and reading what all you lovely people writeand post about the great outdoors I thought it was about time to get on my boots , grab my camera and binoculars and jump in the car for a new adventure.....3 minute drive up the road to....yes its basically on my doorstep!

Sun was shining, carpark pretty busy but excited to see new things so I will need your help identifying what I saw ....

Looking up at the sky......a flock of???( sorry not  great pics)

plenty buzzards(I think) soaring around in the sunshine

Then hiding in the distance....(my other half said they look like kangeroos!)

Time to search the water......(looks like a fake duck to me )

Goldeneye I think!

Then a wander over to the river to hopefully see a kingfisher as I have never seen one but had no luck. 

Ended up taking lots of pics of this duck but no idea what it is...help please!

Back to dry land and some stunning scenery

Who knew there was life beyond my kitchen window. Can't wait to get back out to discover more of our wonderful world.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• So today didnt look to bad outside and decided to head up to RSPB Barons Haugh again

From my back door to the car I got caught in a heavy hail shower...just my luck but no turning back!

On arriving carpark was pretty empty but I had my daughter with me for company.

As we headed down towards the hides it was squlech all the way...

On arrival at the first hide the wind was horrendous and there were a couple of guys there already saying there was nothing doing and asked if we saw the tawny owls on the way down...eh no...never even seen an owl in the wild before and the very kindly took us to where they were. Only the male was in the tree and all we got to see was its bum but I was happy with that for now!!

Yes I know its a rubbish pic but I got something!! lol

Right time to head back down to the water and find something else....

yes it looks not too bad but my eyes were weeping from the wind!

Some ducks were brave....not sure what they are...

obviously better with head under the water than above lol

and a heron building a nest..... well it flew in with twigs in its mouth but I was too slow to catch that

Right by this point I have had enough of the cold and on the way back a lovely buzzard enjoying the wind

And these crows just cried out to be photographed...

this one just sitting on the grass!

Hope to go back soon when its a little less windy.........

• That was brave in the wind, it is so difficult to take photos in the cold, gloves don't help either!! I took out dogs today and waiting for them to do their ablutions was sooooo cold I had to run on the spot!!! I like your owl shot Linda, more than I have ever got anyway:-)

Lot to learn

• Not sure if I was brave or stupid but least I know where to find a pair of tawny owls now thanks to the very kind guys that we met up there.
    They joy of having dogs Gaynors! Laughing
    ..as you may see in my other post today In My Garden I was also out and on my knees in puddles to try get a decent shot of the Sparrowhawk feeding as it was behing 2 nets and under the conifers and the camera would only pick up clear pictures of the nets blowing about!Confused

• You are a glutton for punishment as they say, will go and find the post now!!

Lot to learn

• Am sure there are worse things I could be addicted to Joy

• It's great you have started to get out and about Linda,it is great to have a reserve so close to home. While we are quite a distance from a RSPB reserve here in the wilds of N.Yorkshire we have a number of Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserves in our area so we have a lot to go out.Having being a birder for about 60 years and wandered a lot around the UIK I still find amazing finding wildlife on our doorstep.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• 60 Years ! Wow Pete amazing. I have lots to learn still, always had a keen interest in birds of prey but its truly amazing the amount of wildlife thats actually out there but most simply dont notice it. Best hobbie ever if you ask me!

• Linda257 said:

Some ducks were brave....not sure what they are...

Lovely photos and it did look a bit like a bogfest, but always nice to get out, when you can.

I'm struggling to get a dry weekend down here, and add to that, the local reserve which is quite low as far as the water table is concerned, will be a bogfest!

The three ducks in the photo that you weren't sure about, the far right looks like a goldeneye. Careful enlargement shown what looks like strips along the wing, typical of a goldeneye.

• Thanks Mike , yes it is nice to get out now and again.

Ah I see now looking at my other pics it is a goldeneye thanks for pointing that out.

Hope you get back out and about soon!

• Linda257 said:
    Thanks Mike , yes it is nice to get out now and again.

Ah I see now looking at my other pics it is a goldeneye thanks for pointing that out.

Hope you get back out and about soon!

You're welcome Linda.

Psst, the weekend forecast down here is for.... More of that wet stuff! :-/