Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

• Stunning moth Hazel, well spotted.
  • Super moth H, know what you mean about going out & around, not for me for a long time methinks ... just found out about local tip opening on 15th & have to book online for a slot & wear mask & gloves to visit ... need to go as we're drowning under a mountain of garden waste & no safe place to have a bonfire here but not looking forward to going there!!
  • What a beauty of a moth Hazel. We are now allowed out to play for up to 4 hours, to meet up with 2 friends and they have opened up the recycling site. I have my suspicion that they have 'over flattened' the curve and now want people to start catching it in a controlled manner. The nightingale hospital has just been completed and people are being trained up.
    I'm still avoiding people.
    Trap set for tonight

CinJ
  • Bet you have more luck than me C, some of my Muslins have not even flown off from last night's onslaught! Lol
  • I had a decent haul Wendy.  

A few that I've managed to ID 

Oak Hooktip

Green Silverlines

Chinese  Character 

I will try to id more later but my hay fever is awful and I can't actually see very well at the moment 

Oh and Erik checking out a handful of the 30+ Maybugs that came to join in

CinJ

• Oh gosh, your Erik is sooo lovely. My hauls have gone up lately but it's so insettled, don't really know what to do. I might put out the lamps & a sheet & sit up. Then if a storm comes I can grab the lamps & leg it.
    I think our local waste recycling places will be open next week, but if everyone has (like us) 2 months worth of weeds, I won't bother. Luckily we have the space to store it here.
  • Delightful photo of Erik, C--thanks. He just makes me smile! I won't mind more photos! (And of anyone's insect visitors as well as of Erik!)
  • Quite forgot to post my moth pics from last night, pics a bit fuzzy taken in dark with flash in case they'd gone by morning ... which they had!!

Lovely Brimstone

Latticed Heath

male Waved Umber on kitchen window (tricky)

female LBAM

Tortrix of some kind??

Sorry to hear you're suffering so much C ... give that lovely Erik a big cuddle!

• Poor night but a couple of newbies ...

Heart & Dart

Is this Rustic Shoulder Knot, nearest I could find ??????

First Caddisfly of the season, no doubt be lots more as Moth trap is very near the pond

Won't be setting up tonight as gales starting this afternoon right through til tomorrow evening!! Grrrrr

• Well done on your traps Wendy. I didn't recognise your Rustic Shoulder Knot & so looked it up, one I've never had but looks good to me. Nice one! I did one last night in the garden but the wind got up & the thunder & lightening got a bit close, so I packed up. It was good while it lasted though. The highlight was a Striped Hawkmoth

The Willowherb Hawkmoth turned up too, great that it found it's own way here from where we saw it, unless it was another one. Also had a very tiny little moth "Euspilapteryx auroguttella"

Little & large!