Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Evening, All, Thanks for the photos and posts.
    Russell, We had hoped to visit Knepp this summer for the first time, but it may not happen. However I heard the lady of the manor's talk at Birdfair last year and we bought her book on re-wilding the Knepp estate. It is a fabulous story and the place is now going from strength to strength; they even have Turtle Doves nesting in the summer. Apparently, the soil is not good for growing crops anyway and they had been losing money on the place for many years, but now things are looking up because of what they have done (and left undone!) in the interest of attempting to achieve the natural conditions which prevailed in the area for thousands of years, before people began altering things (this is my interpretation of things there, possibly not entirely representative of their actual motives and not quotes from the book--would not want any misunderstanding!).

Kind regards, Ann

• Hi Ann,
    Yes it sounds and looks great doesn't it. We booked for June but had to cancel due to the virus. I reckon all the wildlife will still be thriving until we get to visit though. Ive started her book and love it.
    Bw
    Russell
  • Co-incidents - I am also reading the book and know the area a little bit, it's very difficult soil to farm for 'modern' farming, on my bucket list to visit Knepp.

The dog is Erik, he is a 4 year old Leonberger weighs in at 93kg  and is my sanity, the van is a modern VW camper which I got so that I could take him travelling to do working stuff. He does water rescue, draughting and scent work. He is also my bird and butterfly companion provided it's not too hot.  After a major life changing event a few years back I learnt that life is too short not to do things and if the opportunity presents itself do it....

This is now very off topic and I'll shut up - miserable day here so moth research to do 

CinJ 

Cin J

• LOL Caroline, looks like a lot of fun with Erik leading the pack ! great photo.

Regards, Hazel 

• Germain said:
    The dog is Erik, he is a 4 year old Leonberger weighs in at 93kg  and is my sanity, the van is a modern VW camper which I got so that I could take him travelling to do working stuff. He does water rescue, draughting and scent work. He is also my bird and butterfly companion provided it's not too hot.

Yes, same breed as my friends dog. They have to be the best tempered dog there ever was & so good. He used to howl when the phone rang as her husband was going a bit deaf!

So will you be off in the camper with your trap? You can run it from a battery with an invertor (if you haven't already discovered that). I don't mind helping out with a few mystery moths if you want to send me a pm or pop them on here for us all to look at! LOL

Best wishes

• Thorns

A little guess work

Lunar Thorn

Purple Thorn (I think)

and the wonderful antenna of a male Muslin moth 

CinJ

Cin J

• Help with ID please of this butterfly, I am not sure if its a female Orange Spot or not?

• Germain said:
    Purple Thorn (I think)

To be a Purple Thorn it needs a black blob on the hind wing & a less scalloped edge, so I think it's another Lunar Thorn. The Muslin moths are lovely, I rarely see a female.

Best wishes

• Tony T said:
    Help with ID please of this butterfly, I am not sure if its a female Orange Spot or not?

It looks like a Small White butterfly to me Tony, the underside of Orange tips are patchy green & white.

Best wishes

• Thanks Hazel, that was my next choice after the orange tip thought, not so good with the white butterflies.