Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• A few recent butterflies, Brown argus have been around for a week or 2

a Scarce Swallowtail sitting nicely

our first Southern White Admiral of the year, the underside colours are gorgeous

a Spotted Fritillary caterpillar I found while weeding the gravel by hand (well what else do you do in confinement)

a Lackey Moth caterpillar crossing the road

& finally a little micro-moth, only it's 2nd sighting in France & rare in UK too, it's my "find of the confinement" so far. It has 2 names, in the UK it's known as Phtheochroa schreibersiana

It was in a bush on the marshes, wouldn't settle & it flew off!!

I've drawn a 1km circle around our house & every day we go & explore another bit. It's tricky as we only have an hour & it takes 20 minutes to get the edge, 15 mins to poke around & 20 mins home. Still it's a challenge.

Stay safe all!

Best wishes

• A great selection, none of which I'd see locally even under normal conditions.

Nige   Flickr

• Amazing find H, all your sightings are great, love the caterpillar ... IWOOT of course!  M weeded ours over a few days last week but didn't present me with any'finds' Lol
    Ukmoths info ... ukmoths.org.uk/.../
    How very inventive with the 1km circle, hoping you get more rare finds!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Fabulous finds and pics Hazel, fantastic Swallowtail and White Admiral and the Brown Argos is showy too and beautifully coloured.

Lot to learn

• Some beauties there Hazel,  slightly envious. Good idea of drawing your radius.

We are allowed 2 hours out and about a day. Today I managed to get in a trip to one of my survey sights.  I was doing an emergency medication drop to a person on full isolation so took the opportunity to visit the site thats close by and to walk the dog.- managed to get it all done in the 2 hours 

not much variety of species but the Green Hairstreaks are coming out to play 

Looks like our recent spell of good weather might be about to go off 

CinJ

Cin J

• Germain no room on your back seat then for hitch hikers!! fabulous animal. Nice to see the green Hairstreak,

Bob well captured, I have seen a few of the orange tips this year, more than usual.

Lot to learn

• I love your passenger Germain, what breed is it, looks a bit like my friends dog "Huggy". I like the look of the vehicle too, is it a camper? We've a 1989 VW westfalia & I go out with my equipement to various places, kip the night & come back the next day. It's great as you can leave the trap all night in places like nature reserves, sand dunes etc.

Best wishes

• Love them gorgeous continental lepidoptera hazel!
  • Yes, great dog, vehicle & butterfly! If only I had all three ;-)
  • Can I ask if anyone has been to Knepp estate in Sussex?
    Looks awesome!
    https://knepp.co.uk/