Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Great find and great pics! I agree about rearing - I overwintered a pupa once, having found the final instar pretending to be dog poo on a footpath. I didn't like its chances of survival there so set up a little bug tank with fuchsia, leaf litter, moss and twigs, and after it pupated (in the leaf litter and moss on the bottom of the tank) I put it outside in a sheltered spot with a rain cover near my back door.

I had nightmares that I would forget to check it one day and it might emerge and die! I was also worried that it wasn't really protected from the frosts, but it was fine. It had just emerged when I got home and checked it one day, so I got to see it inflate and it was truly a moment of awe and joy to release it knowing it probably wouldn't have made it otherwise.
  • Certainly is an anxious time ... I have had success putting pupa in orchid compost as dry & sterile & keeping pot in shed with no lid on so damp can't build up! Bring into lounge when due to emerge & lightly spray pupa with distilled water to wake it up!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• This one came into lounge last night & eventually settled on a picture allowing itself to be caught then released outside after a pic

Suspect Common Rustic??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Had this little geezer in the house Wednesday

And this chap suspiciously close to some mint!!

Not sure why the 2nd one is upside down, but hey ho!

• Your little geezer looks much like a Small Dusty Wave plus topsy-turvy Mint moth!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

This one came into lounge last night & eventually settled on a picture allowing itself to be caught then released outside after a pic

Suspect Common Rustic??

You'll kick yourself if I tell you, you've discussed the caterpillar lately, something to do with a big green (or red or white) vegetable!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks Wendy... Iknew the mint moth whoop whoop!!
  • Hazel C said:

WendyBartter said:

This one came into lounge last night & eventually settled on a picture allowing itself to be caught then released outside after a pic

Suspect Common Rustic??

You'll kick yourself if I tell you, you've discussed the caterpillar lately, something to do with a big green (or red or white) vegetable!

It's a conspiracy H ... they're following me around whilst it's far too hot to ID with any accuracy!!  All the promised rain/storms tonight just been cancelled but so still outside it's a bit eerie!  Consolation in the form of HBHM on Buddleiabut couldn't get any pictures!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• They're taking over the world!!
  • Latest surprise visitor to my lounge this evening ...

Was anxious to be free!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr