Butterflies & Moths 2020

• Poor night but a couple of newbies ...

Heart & Dart

Is this Rustic Shoulder Knot, nearest I could find ??????

First Caddisfly of the season, no doubt be lots more as Moth trap is very near the pond

Won't be setting up tonight as gales starting this afternoon right through til tomorrow evening!! Grrrrr

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well done on your traps Wendy. I didn't recognise your Rustic Shoulder Knot & so looked it up, one I've never had but looks good to me. Nice one! I did one last night in the garden but the wind got up & the thunder & lightening got a bit close, so I packed up. It was good while it lasted though. The highlight was a Striped Hawkmoth

The Willowherb Hawkmoth turned up too, great that it found it's own way here from where we saw it, unless it was another one. Also had a very tiny little moth "Euspilapteryx auroguttella"

Little & large!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Was hoping for a Hawkmoth or two H, but no show!  Had a couple of teenies too, one was White-shouldered & the other hopped away too quick! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Hi Wendy,
    I'm lucky enough to have a lot of hedging so I started doing what Kate Bradbury says and recycle my garden waste in the garden. Chop it up and pile it up under the hedging. I'm hoping it'll get lots of creepie-crawlies as they can thrn take cover from the wrens.
    Russ
  • Good idea Russ, don't have a great deal of room but have been contemplating getting a shredder to make my own mulch!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

We have a shredder Wendy and its worth its weight in mulch, all our pruning & cutting back goes through it otherwise the brown bin wouldn't cope.

Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• Whoop whoop, we are officially allowed to start  Butterfly monitoring again.  

I put the moth trap out the other night - not a brilliant selection.  I failed to get up at first light so they may have abandoned ship but had 

Clouded Border

and a couple I'm unsure about and would be grateful for a hint in the right direction 

The photo doesn't do the shiny copper gold justice

This one was very dark 

Hope everyone is keeping well and safe 

CinJ 

Cin J

• Nice pics all.... Mrs PB spotted this in the kitchen a few minutes ago... looks similar to your Cin….?

PS That's not the kitchen wall, as I went to take pic it flew outside :o)

• That looks like a beautiful Garden Carpet, PB - they have lovely intricate markings

CinJ

Cin J

• Thanks Cin, wouldn't have known where to start looking for ID (I did have a look, but it starts with "is it a butterfly or moth?", and I didn't know lol)