Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

Parents
  • Whoop whoop, we are officially allowed to start  Butterfly monitoring again.  

I put the moth trap out the other night - not a brilliant selection.  I failed to get up at first light so they may have abandoned ship but had 

Clouded Border

and a couple I'm unsure about and would be grateful for a hint in the right direction 

The photo doesn't do the shiny copper gold justice

This one was very dark 

Hope everyone is keeping well and safe 

CinJ 

• Whoop whoop, we are officially allowed to start  Butterfly monitoring again.  

I put the moth trap out the other night - not a brilliant selection.  I failed to get up at first light so they may have abandoned ship but had 

Clouded Border

and a couple I'm unsure about and would be grateful for a hint in the right direction 

The photo doesn't do the shiny copper gold justice

This one was very dark 

Hope everyone is keeping well and safe 

CinJ 

Children
  • Hi CinJ, That middle one is a beauty & not really sure what it is but could be Diarsia mendica (Ingrailed Clay). The last one is a Minor either Oligia strigilis or versicolor (cut-up job). We've had some dewy mornings & once the damp starts to come down at night the moths don't come so much, so maybe that's why they were a bit sparce.

However we've had some lovely sunny days & been out every day for the last few days doing butterfly walks

Marsh Fritillary

Pearly Heath

Meadow fritillary

Five-spot Burnet

It took us a few days but we're now making the most of our freedom!