Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• All set up for first moth trap this year, everything present & correct except that I chucked out all the old egg boxes ... whoops! Making do with a couple I had + one rescued from paper recycling bag with some scrumpled up kitchen towel & a modified cat food box ... needs must! Lol
    Had a second male Emperor & then realised that the lure I thought defunct was still outside! Put it back in freezer ... the lure that is!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WOW Wendy, they are like buses, wait for weeks & 2 come at once! LOL Good luck for the trap. I did one last night but thunderstorms due tonight. Look forward to the piccies.

Best wishes

• Tried to get pic of the one in captivity but he was much too lively, maybe in the morning before he warms up ... still have a male & female from my hatchings last year in an amazing state of preservation! Hope for some interesting visitors but leaving on all night to check in morning!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Bit disappointing result as forgot to set alarm to check trap early so only found a Hewbrew Character & a Shuttle-shaped Dart ... better than nowt! Have put male Emperor out in the sun to warm up for take-off later, can always put lure out again when this terrible wind drops away!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    Have put male Emperor out in the sun to warm up for take-off later

Just don't put it in the freezer   lol 

Regards, Hazel 

• WendyBartter said:
    Bit disappointing result as forgot to set alarm to check trap early so only found a Hewbrew Character & a Shuttle-shaped Dart ... better than nowt! Have put male Emperor out in the sun to warm up for take-off later, can always put lure out again when this terrible wind drops away!

If it's windy the moths aren't around much & the almost full moon doesn't help either.

Best wishes

• Try again tonight, wind easing but can't do much about the moon on this clear night! 

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Moth trap out again, much better night here & stupidly pleased to have just seen a pristine Waved Umber in the box ... if still there in morning I will try for a pic!   Only one female LBAM this morning!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Minor success but lovely specimens ...

male Muslin Moth x 2

Hebrew Character

male Waved Umber

Here is my male Emperor, a bit damaged on one wing ... let him go!

Now I have first incumbent of the year ... a caterpillar found in my cold frame ... still to be ID'd

Seems quite content on a bed of Dandelion leaves

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• As you say, fine examples even if few!
    I saw a lovely Cinnabar today but couldn't keep up with it to get a photo!

Nige   Flickr