Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• gaynorsl said:
    Blimey Hazy, what other creatures do they have around!!!

They have a whole full size menagerie like a zoo of animals although some are difficult to see behind hedges !    tiger, elephant, deer, bear,  gorilla,  collie dog with flock, cows, sheep, plus real animals like horses, llamas etc     It's the real helicopter/s I can't get over in the garden  LOL      Guess it's hard to know what to spend you money on when you are that wealthy  !    And all I want are some carpets  (says she who's ROFL - rolling on the concrete floors laughing   …… or should that be sobbing ? )   !

Regards, Hazel 

• You never know, Hazy, they might be able to start making your carpet from Wednesday!! While I appreciate there are still concerns over a return to work, I, for one, will be glad I can at least begin to explore a little more widely when I venture out, as maintaining distance has never been a problem for me.

Meanwhile (while waiting for a man to come and service the boiler), here are a couple of long-distance shots of some Little-ringed Plovers from a late evening walk in the local park on Sunday - there's at least one pair and possibly more in other pools, but they keep moving so you can't keep track of how many there really are! I don't claim the photos are brill as they are quite shy but it's nice to have them in the park and they might add a little variety here.

Nige   Flickr

• Lovely little ringed plover Nige

• Not good enough Nige!!
    Only joking!!Yum. Better than any of my close up pics!
    Keep up the good work

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Wonderful photos of the Little Ringed Plover, they are such striking looking birds with those facial markings.   

Unknown said:
    Hazy, they might be able to start making your carpet from Wednesday!!

Carpets are due to be woven at Ulster factory in N.Ireland so they may not be on the same rules as England !     I can't even visit Gaynor without getting arrested  LOL 

Hoping some nature reserves and local parks start opening as Tatton is still closed. 

Regards, Hazel 

• That's a pretty special park if you get LRP's there, Nigel. Cracking photos especially the first one where you've caught its eye perfectly.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    I can't even visit Gaynor without getting arrested

Why, what on earth do you two get up to????

• Thanks all
    Hazy, I dare say that will cause confusion that the various parts of the UK are behaving differently. We'll have to give time for the NT and other parks to decide how to handle re-opening.
    Tony, this is a new park to compensate for the industrial complex next door and some areas are still to be developed, but it is being landscaped more like a nature reserve than a formal garden. It's also large, maybe 4sq km. They've put in several scrapes and ponds and even small reed beds so it attracts a good variety of birds from Skylarks and Wheatears to Lapwings and LRPs and at least five different warblers. Somewhere, there's rumoured to be a Little and a Barn Owl but I've not seen them yet. They also purchased a farmers wet field as it was home to Great Crested Newts. Currently, it's a patchwork and not much to look at and you could easily miss the birds if you didn't know they were there, but when the trees grow a bit and the grass becomes filled with wildflowers it could rival many nature reserves if they keep up the good work.

Nige   Flickr

• Unknown said:
    Tony, this is a new park to compensate for the industrial complex next door

Hi Nige,   Is the park M.G.  ? !     There's so many areas we have yet to explore not only around the our own area but the rest of the UK but for now I better stick to England and not cross any borders;   talk about confusion   lol 

Regards, Hazel 

• That sounds fabulous, and unusually forward thinking!