Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

• Thanks Tony and lol, no ruby chard, just fresh broccoli, carrots and I found some jersey royals ! Glad your relative managed to drop you off a few supplies, was wondering how you were managing although hope the local community are doing their bit for you. Been difficult to get any supermarket delivery and we don't have family that can drop stuff off as they are all in lock down - more than us ! My landlord's partner called on us (at two metre distance LOL ) to ask if we needed anything which was kind of him but instead of asking for anything I sent him back with half a madeira cake and some M & S chipolata sausages LOL
  • A local farm shop has said that they are reserving slots for various groups. 8 am - 9 am for the over 60's so I'm going to give that a try next week. They haven't mentioned anything for the over 80's LOL. I can't get any home deliveries.
  • Unknown said:
    A local farm shop has said that they are reserving slots for various groups. 8 am - 9 am for the over 60's so I'm going to give that a try next week. They haven't mentioned anything for the over 80's LOL. I can't get any home deliveries.

I have found some of the local shops brilliant for quick supplies and we have a local butcher who will take orders over the phone as he can't have people visit the small shop due to the difficulty keeping two metre distancing rule.    You just collect at the door by arrangement although I haven't tried it yet.      The only disappointment was that at one of the petrol stations  had ramped up the price for a 60ml bottle of hand sanitiser gel to £3.99    -  I think it's shameful to make a profit at desperate times like this although I know some commercial suppliers might have put the price up to the garage - but not £4 worth I think !     We have times when we can use the first hour of trading at shops like M & S on Mon. and Wed.    I don't want Mike in store so am managing to get my shop in every 10 days or so at regular hours as the queuing and limits on numbers of people in store are now working really well so I can keep distance safely.    I use my disposable gloves to be sure and nearly wash my skin off my hands when I get home again.   It's not worth the risk of relaxing the regime and I guess we are all used to it now.     stay well. 

• Everyone, please keep us all posted on how you are doing.
    You probably know that standard antibiotic hand sanitiser only works on bacteria, not viruses. It must be something like at least 60 percent or more alcohol to kill viruses, but washing hands for the stated length of time (is it 20 seconds? also twice through the song of 'Happy Birthday to You') with soap and hot water will do the trick, provided it is done after every occasion when you touch anything someone else might have touched or sneezed or coughed on. But disposable gloves--who has a stash of those at home or am I the odd one out and everyone else actually has them?!

• Happy Birthday Ann for the 27th and of course you have to celebrate, I always call it a three day event, the cards are so lovely these days there is no way they are up for just a day:-)
  • Thanks, Gaynor, On the day I enjoyed myself, changing the song to 'Happy Birthday to Me' Of course, no one heard me doing it! We've just had a live-video visit with my sister and BiL--they are self-isolating because a week and a half ago someone visited his office who a few days later tested positive. They were then told something I hadn't heard before although I don't know if it is true--that if you don't show symptoms in the first 3 or 4 days after being near a person who later tests positive, that you are probably in the clear, but that self isolation still ought to be done for 14 days from the date of possible contact, just to be safe for everyone. Anyone else heard this about possibly being in the clear or was it invented to make people feel better about the whole thing?!
  • I agree Ann, the standard hand sanitiser only works for bacteria and I only use it for when I'm out of house as carrying bucket of water and soap is not an option  lol.     It helps with general germs but the main thing is to wash hands as recommended when home  -   I sang the Anniversary Waltz     LOL 

Unknown said:
    But disposable gloves--who has a stash of those at home or am I the only one out and everyone else actually has them?!

My friend used to cut/colour my hair so I bought them for that purpose and luckily still had a few pairs left  !     Wonder if NASA has any space suits for purchase  - that would work ! 

• Its all about reducing the risks, damage limitation.

Stay safe everyone, and we'll all get through this.

• I rarely ever get the time to walk the local burn, so a nice surprise on our morning exercise walk today. :-)

• Oh how lovely Paul, makes me think of summer hols as we don't get them around here, it's given me my smile of the day anyway!