Hoggies & Earlybirds on trailcam 2019

Absolutely amazed last night to step out front to check on moths & frogs & quite literally bump into a Hoggie ... in fact I kicked it in the dark & was good job I had my slippers on!!!

Took a couple of hasty snaps & rushed back to get some of their dried food from the store cupboard ...

Checked a while later & they had vanished ... so had the food!

Have put food out again tonight & set up trail cam ... here's hoping!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Sad news about the hedgie Wendy but as has been said it really is for the best if the animal would suffer. Glad there is no action at the moment at your feeding station, let things settle down maybe.

Lot to learn

• Sorry to hear about your Hoggie, Wendy. At least you were able to spare it a painful and lingering death. Saw a very healthy-looking Fox in our back garden a couple of days ago (using it as a loo!)--at 10 AM! No sign of Hedgies, though--haven't seen or had signs of one in the garden in a decade or more.

Kind regards, Ann

• I will be very pleased to never again see a Fox in the quarry Ann all the time I have Hoggie visitors ... too much worry as are all the cats & dogs concentrated in this relatively small area!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Completely understandable, Wendy. Some years ago our neighbour had a very beautiful and timid cat who spent much of her time in our back garden (might have had something to do with the fact that our neighbour also had several dogs!). All the other neighbourhood cats bullied it. At one point we discovered that the cat had a nasty wound on her back just in front of her tail, most likely done by a fox.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thank goodness it's very rare to see a Fox here in the quarry & I'm sure that none of my current neighbours would encourage by feeding, I certainly didn't because of Hoggie safety & it only showed up on trailcam twice!

Wouldn't surprise me greatly if this was a dog attack, there are a couple of terrier types here more than capable ... just normal pets but when wild animals are around their more base instincts can rear up!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

Sad update on Hoggie but the best outcome really given that his back leg had been bitten off or severed in some awful accident, no coming back from that as not a pampered pet but had to survive in the wild!

I'm really sorry to read the sad update, at least the best outcome was attained.

• Other people still have late feeding hoggie visitors ... so why not me?

This is what I get

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I see Robbie was guarding the entrance to the hog house in case the visitor comes back lol

Regards, Hazel 

• I suppose you could blue-tack some cocktail sticks to the rat and make your own hedgehog ... or a flying hedgehog if you use Robbie!

Nige   Flickr

• Unknown said:
    I suppose you could blue-tack some cocktail sticks to the rat and make your own hedgehog .

LOL Nige !       just don't add any cheese or pineapple to the cocktail sticks or ratty may send out invitation cards to his xmas party 

Regards, Hazel