Hoggies & Earlybirds on trailcam 2019

Absolutely amazed last night to step out front to check on moths & frogs & quite literally bump into a Hoggie ... in fact I kicked it in the dark & was good job I had my slippers on!!!

Took a couple of hasty snaps & rushed back to get some of their dried food from the store cupboard ...

Checked a while later & they had vanished ... so had the food!

Have put food out again tonight & set up trail cam ... here's hoping!

• At long last I have been seeing some young Hoggies in the garden ... at least three of differing sizes but always on their own & not foraging with Mum as last year ... I notice that the tiniest one of all does not appear to use the feeding station, just roots around at a rate of knots!

Definitely best viewed full screen!

• That's a whole community you've got zooming about the garden now - or possibly a whole thimbleful.
  • It's a teeny one alright Nige ... have three large adults too who visit every night ... am very lucky!

Still have four frogs in my pond too!  Turning into a lovely wildlife habitat!

• I was trying to think of a silly collective noun for prickly critters rather than being sizeist but I can understand it was misleading Slight smile

What about the newt(s) or have they disappeared, now?

• Newts just seemed to vanish, maybe they didn't care for close proximity with eight frogs & 4 large goldfish ... it's just a preformed quite small pond ... maybe when we re-jig the orientation & temporarily relocate the current critters we may come across them again, or when the lily pads die back giving a better view into the water ... whichever happens the soonest! Lol

• Looking at that series of video clips hedgehogs can certainly move fast with those long legs; They are strange little creatures and it was interesting reading that they were called urchins, hedgepigs or furze-pigs a few centuries ago ! As for a collective term for them, I prefer the use of: "a prickle of hedgehogs" ! herd or array doesn't sound right lol
  • Wonderful Wendy, so great to see a number of hedgies enjoying your garden again, yes you are very lucky and I'm very envious:-)
  • As I am housebound until the intense heat dies down I have prepared another compilation of Hoggie action from the night before last to show the differences ... as usual full screen is best as the littlest Hoggie doesn't always show well on night cam ...

• You need to come up north Wendy, yesterday hot but today was hazy and breezy also by the afternoon. You should feel better by Wed as rain seems imminent hopefully. Your hedgies will also like a little moisture to bring out the slugs, although they seem to be happy with your lovely feeding station.
  • Hopefully in right thread this time ... transferred from 2018 thread!
    Oooo-er, long time since I posted on here, good news is that I have continued to have nightly visits to feeding station from a Mum & babies ... the two ( sometimes three) youngsters seem to be growing to a size compatible with successful hibernation!
    Watch for Foxy getting a big shock last night ...

Gaynor posted ...

***Very glad to see you are getting good sized youngsters feeding up for winter Wendy. MrMrs Fox certainly had a surprise when he put his nose into the box!! I wonder will it put the hedgies off now they know a fox is around, they don't make good bed companions.***

I replied ...Hi Gaynor ... did look up about relationship between urban foxes & hoggies & found this somewhat comforting post ...
    ***Foxes sometimes attack hedgehogs, although usually adult hogs are protected by their spines. ... Urban foxes' stomachs contain hedgehog parts now and then, though this is probably because they eat roadkill. Otherwise, foxes and hedgehogs often live happily together in our cities.
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org › pr...
    Hedgehog predators - Hedgehog Street ***