Hoggies & Earlybirds on trailcam 2019

Absolutely amazed last night to step out front to check on moths & frogs & quite literally bump into a Hoggie ... in fact I kicked it in the dark & was good job I had my slippers on!!!

Took a couple of hasty snaps & rushed back to get some of their dried food from the store cupboard ...

Checked a while later & they had vanished ... so had the food!

Have put food out again tonight & set up trail cam ... here's hoping!

• Update on pesky stray cat ... it was trapped last week & taken to Cats in Crisis who are arranging for health checks, neutering & re-homing if it calms down enough! So no more raiding of Hoggies food! Down to just one male Hoggie each night now, presume female could be nesting somewhere (unfortunately not in my house) with young who I may be lucky enough to see in weeks to come!
    ITM, some earlybirds from this morning ...

• Was so surprised to come across such ferocity, didn't know BB's could fight like that!
  • These birds continually surprise us don't they!! At least they could fight in peace (sorry) with the cat not being around any more.
  • Still taking a chance as there are two other youngish cats who prowl around but they don't try to get in Hoggie feeding station ..... yet!!  They do eye up the birds though!

• I have one next door Wendy that jumps over the fence and hides in the shrubbery - Sue doesn't see very well now but can still smell if she is downwind!! I have a water pistol handy but it hasn't stopped it yet. Tonight I have heightened the fence so will see how that goes down.
  • Saw an amazing thing this evening, a Spadger was alarm calling & fluttering back & forth from Pyracantha to rose arch ... came across neighbours cat about to dig hole in my new garden bed & it obviously spooked the bird ... didn't know Spadgers acted like that, mind you there are a number of fledglings around today! Great worry as they will sunbathe on the ground & sit on low walls waiting to be fed!
  • Catch-up on the Hoggies ... have had a lone male for couple of weeks now (hoping female is nesting somewhere) but last night what must have been another male came in a couple of times ... no fights but a great deal of displeasure seen & heard

Just looked back to see that it was 23rd July last year for first sighting of Hoggie followed on 27th July by Mum & three hoglets ... hope I'm as lucky this year!

• Good to see the two hoggies Wendy, glad they sort of gave each other space. Know what you mean with the Spadgers sitting around in easily predated places, they do same here and look so vulnerable, today they were bathing in water dish and then flying to parent for food. Sun out during the morning and strong wind but rain later this afternoon so activity lessened. My roses are taking a battering, tried to push a stake in the front garden and ended up soaked!!
  • Shame when you have to watch blooms being battered Gaynor, am trying to plant up a new bed here, had plants for couple of weeks now & ready to plant up tomorrow only to be put on weather warning for thunderstorms & torrential rain from Tuesday evening il Wednesday night!! Grrrrr
  • Funny old summer isn't it!!!!! I find the evenings quite cold too.