Hoggies & Earlybirds on trailcam 2019

Absolutely amazed last night to step out front to check on moths & frogs & quite literally bump into a Hoggie ... in fact I kicked it in the dark & was good job I had my slippers on!!!

Took a couple of hasty snaps & rushed back to get some of their dried food from the store cupboard ...

Checked a while later & they had vanished ... so had the food!

Have put food out again tonight & set up trail cam ... here's hoping!

• Not the best way to welcome hoggie back but I'm sure it will forgive you with the food treat as compensation LOL Seriously, it is good to see it's around - you have quite a menagerie there to look after Wendy, just be careful next time you step outside the door at night !
  • Thanks you two, got me a stronger torch now! Lol
    Yesses, trailcam yielded some good images last night ... later, have to run errands grrrrrr
  • Have amended thread title to encompass the bonanza collected overnight!! You'll have to ignore time stamps as I didn't realise until this morning that I had not set correct date & time ... I put cam out last night around 20.00 & switched off 09.30 today ... during that time all this magic happened ... have left it in real time to hear Hoggie crunching & various lovely birdsong, tell me who you hear?

Aren't I lucky?

• awww, how cute is that hoggie munching away on his "biscuits" !   lovely birdsong in the background too.

• Good to see a hoggie, Wendy. He/she looks nice and plump. I could hear your House Sparrows chattering and a Robin singing as well as a Great Tit in the background.
    I haven't had a hoggie in the garden for a couple of years at least. No sign of their droppings last year at all. Very sad.
  • It's fortunate they have short memories and will come back for food after you stuck the boot slipper in. Nice to see the little spiky thing. 

• Yes you are soooo lucky Wendy, good to see a hedgie again and who knows, this time of the year there might be young around soon as well.
  • Good to see your hoggies are back.

Ours have been active since late March.

We have one adult and one juvenile, quite distinctive due to its smaller size. However, old one-eye hasn't been seen yet, so either nature has taken its course, or it's moved elsewhere.

Junior hoggie has taken to going under the netting around the pond, searching for food!

I've spoken to the local hoggie team who assure me hoggies can swim and there's no cause for alarm.

For those wondering, the netting on the pond is to stop predators eating the fish. We have had in the past regular visits from a heron!

• ***Good to see your hoggies are back***  Thanks Mike, wonder how long for this year??

Had to bring cam in due to the stormy conditions so no bonus birdsong but Hoggie had visited loads anyway, unfortunately no proper timeline due to date/time not setting!!

Record vid, quite long, but loved listening to the crunchy noises, quite audible despite the wind ...

• Glad to see your other visitor didn't stay long and the hedgehog came back to have another mouthful or two:-)