Beautiful Butterflies 2019

3 days of sunshine & Butterflies galore. Well, not really but we did see 3 Brimstones a Red Admiral & a Peacock. I did get a shot of the Brimstone flying, but I think trying to photograph Butterflies in flight is one of the first signs of madness. Anyway, it's high time I started this thread.

This is the link to last years thread https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196195/beautiful-butterflies-2018/1219455#1219455

• Lovely photo Gaynor, it looks like a Small White to me by the amount of black on the top corner (Pieris rapae). You should be getting some blues soon too!
  • Also from the east coast today, Small Copper.

Next is a Small Heath. It was very difficult to sneak up on so I ended up crawling along the ground to get a photo. When I stood back up one of the clips from my braces pinged off into three pieces, one of which conveniently landed in a small stand of stinging nettles. The things I do for you.!!  :-)

• Great sightings and photo captures Paul,   not seen a Wall butterfly this year but live in hope.      I did catch up with a female Orange Tip today, albeit briefly !

• Great photos Paul & Hazy! I was suprised we didn't get a photo of a caterpillar or similar found lurking in the stinging nettles Paul, your stories always make me laugh.

I had a couple of butterflies around the moth traps recently which make interesting photos.

A Marsh fritillary

& Glanvilles

• stunning butterflies and photos Hazel, what beauties you get in France.    

Today I caught up with a few Green Hairstreak butterflies at Foulshaw Moss in Cumbria......

this one had a shadow of a leaf acros the top of one wing  ....................

and a Brimstone butterfly at Leighton moss .....

• Great photos of the Hairstreak Hazy. You'll have to come over here one day & use your skills on our local one's! We went out on our Raptor nesting square yesterday (5km x 5km) & couldn't resist revisiting a flower covered field we found on the last visit. Not really raptors but never mind! We were thrilled to see 3 Black-veined Whites, not seen by us for a number of years

a Short-tailed blue was there too

& these 2 mating Knapweed Fritillarys with unusual top wing markings

Great when the suns out isn't it!

• All lovely stuff you H's ... still bereft here but was red-letter day with first Holly Blue, sweet & tiny but so flitty!
  • lovely photo and species additions Hazel; interesting to see the Black-veined white as I'd never even heard of one ! Very tempting thought to visit such a lovely area as your local area certainly gets some fabulous birds and insect varieties as well as those raptors you were looking for lol
  • Yesterday was also a red letter day for us as we saw our first Red Squirrel in a long time, it was soooo cute, but no chance for piccies as it was thro' the windscreen.