Beautiful Butterflies 2019

3 days of sunshine & Butterflies galore. Well, not really but we did see 3 Brimstones a Red Admiral & a Peacock. I did get a shot of the Brimstone flying, but I think trying to photograph Butterflies in flight is one of the first signs of madness. Anyway, it's high time I started this thread.

This is the link to last years thread https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196195/beautiful-butterflies-2018/1219455#1219455

• Thanks Wendy, I couldn't get over the amount of butterflies I was seeing today, counted at least 30 P. Ladies on my walk, they were so fast too and rising from just in front of me. Funnily I walked this evening (before the sun set) along a lane where I thought there would be plenty of life but not a thing!!!
  • Lovely photos Gaynor. They seem to have strict flying hours & conditions & stick to it. It's handy though because you can sometimes spot butterflies that won't settle during the day, just sitting on a tuft of grass.
  • What beautiful additions Nige and Gaynor, many thanks for your pics; it's such a bonus to see so many butterflies around at the moment, in-between the heavy rain showers and especially the abundance of painted lady species this season.
  • OH said the other day there were 3 million heading your way Alan! Best have the camera ready! LOL
  • Unknown said:
    How do they fly when coupled and one is back to front???

Carefully?

Another array of beautiful shots Nige

• Deffo a Painted Lady fest this year! Lovely shots all
  • Brilliant photos folks.

Some from today,

Peacock that decided to rest on the garage wall, before moving on to the window.

Painted Lady, just hung around long enough to grab a piccie before dashing off somewhere....

• I'm sorry Mike, but I have to say that it's rather sad looking at your photos with peak rambler right through them, can't you put it somewhere else? (Peakramber that is & not the photos! LOL).
  • Hazel C said:
    I'm sorry Mike, but I have to say that it's rather sad looking at your photos with peak rambler right through them, can't you put it somewhere else? (Peakramber that is & not the photos! LOL).

Hazel,

First my apologies, usually I manage to make the wording a lot less obtrusive, and you're right it does detract from the image.

There is a very good reason for the watermark, a few years ago someone managed to download a few photos and market them at my expense. I only found out because a good friend of mine spotted them while searching the web for something. Where they downloaded them from I never found out, it may have been Facebook (the account was deleted a few years ago), another forum, or another online photo account I had at the time, nor did I get a satisfactory resolution to my request for them to be withdrawn etc.

So my humblest apologies, and while I know people here would not dream of using anyone else's photos for financial gain, they can still be found using any good search engine, right click with the mouse and select "Save as" and you have a copy of someone else's photos.

Another reason why I downsize, to reduce the image quality.

So my humblest apologies,

• But does it matter??? I'd be proud if someone thought my photos worth nicking. Or do you sell them too? I consider anything I put on public forum as free to all. If someone else has the get up & go to make money from them, then good on them.