Mostly Moths 2019

Well here goes, for better or worse, another year of moths. The old thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196070/mostly-moths-2018/1221500#1221500

To start us off a couple of silly ones that came to greet the first trap of the year on the night of the 1st to 2nd january. It was around 6-7°C all night & frosts ever since so I gave it a go.

A Double-striped Pug

& same one closed

& White Speck

Nothing earth-shattering, but a start!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hi Russ, first impression for me is Large Yellow Underwing but wait for Hazel as she pupated one to emerging last year & may have pics!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Russ, I'd go along with Wendy, too long for the Lunar & the kidney is very dark, plus the oval mark doesn't have a white border. In fact I've never seen one, Wendy must have been thinking of the Lunar Underwing I had! LOL

Best wishes

• Did your pupa not eclose last year H, I've lost track?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• No, it never made it. I think the soil must have dried out too much & maybe it got too hot in the shed. I'm a bit wary of raising much at home as I don't really have the time to lok after it properly. It's all right for short-term things but long-term are more tricky.

I'm still putting my rope out & have had quite a few takers in the last few weeks. I had 4 last night, still on the camera! This is a Brick from a week or so ago

& a Mottled Umber that came to the trap, which I run every few days under the garden table, to keep the rain & dew off

I must get back into the habit of posting on here too.

Best wishes

• Drat, There I was thinking it was a rare Lunar!
    I need to gen- up on color variations. Many thanks for your expert opinion anyway.
    Id better update my iRecord.
    Bw
    Russ
  • Size is always a big help, if you can put something down to measure it against. If you can handle it, the underwing can also help.

Best wishes

• Hazel C said:

No, it never made it. I think the soil must have dried out too much & maybe it got too hot in the shed. I'm a bit wary of raising much at home as I don't really have the time to lok after it properly. It's all right for short-term things but long-term are more tricky.

I'm still putting my rope out & have had quite a few takers in the last few weeks. I had 4 last night, still on the camera! This is a Brick from a week or so ago

& a Mottled Umber that came to the trap, which I run every few days under the garden table, to keep the rain & dew off

I must get back into the habit of posting on here too.

Shame about the Lunar pupa H!

I have a bit of catching up to do re the Death's head HM's & the woolly bear saga!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Would love to see your updates Wendy, did you do any trapping on your reserve this year?

Best wishes

• No H, it all went a bit pear-shaped owing to the main organiser leaving! Very little at home either because of Hoggie activity every night in same vicinity as usual moth traps & stuck for other space here where lights won't disturb neighbours!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr