Mostly Moths 2019

• Lovely presentation H, very attractive little moth looks great when all pristine like that!
    Still waiting on DHHM to make an appearance!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:
    Rich formatting has failed so cannot post OE pic!

Seems OK again ... here's 10 healthy but still very small Oak Eggar larvae 

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• (Lost this reply once but will try again!). They are looking great, what do you feed them on? According to what I've read they eat most things?

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Currently feeding bramble leaves as have plenty available in garden ... bit fiddly cutting out the highly prickly spines though!  Keeping them on bramble as they overwinter as small larvae but may require supplementary feeding on warmer Winter days & bramble is evergreen!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Goodness Wendy, that's known as mollycoddling isn't it ? Cutting out the prickly bits! LOL

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• I can just imagine her cutting up their food and passing them little bits on a tiny fork!!
    When cooking nettles, you're supposed to scrunch the leaves up while wearing gloves to break all the stings. Perhaps something similar would work for the prickly bits of brambles and be a lot quicker, eg pressing the leaves against a hard surface?

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:
    bit fiddly cutting out the highly prickly spines though

Blimey, Wendy, my Mum didn't even do that for me!!

• New kid on the block, crept out under cover of darkness so it could give me a fright this morning ... am thinking female although nowt to compare it with yet ... have found some pics of how to sex when pupae but not unearthed the other four yet!

Ooooo-er

Managed to get it right way up

First official pic

In the butterfly house for now

Sat there for a bit drying out & suddenly took off trying vainly to escape

Vid made me giddy! Lol