Mostly Moths 2019

• Six Spot Moth, on a recent visit to RSPB Conwy.

I just love the way those clear wings can look so black in the light.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Sandra : How wonderful to have the Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillars in your garden & 2 of them too!

Wendy : Your Silver Y was lucky, good to see a happy ending. I've no idea why the Double-striped Pugs chose the Sweetcorn, beacause it was there? LOL Will post caterpillar photos once sorted & you can see what you think. They may not be dead, they may have pupated.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Your caterpillars pretty much polyphagus H so sweetcorn could have been attractive, they eat legumes amongst a host of various flowers I've just read ... look forward to seeing some pics ... searched a few sites but couldn't find photo of pupa!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• OK, got my act together, here are the various photos of the caterpillar & the pupa. It certainly looks like Double-striped Pug (Gymnoscelis rufifasciata)

Caught in the act, 3 caterpillars munching the sweetcorn core the 13 Aug

I put them in a pot with some cob & they ate well so I cleaned them up & took photos on the 15 Aug

But then they stopped eating I thought they died but no, all made little pupas, photo today 19 August

& it looks like ID is right, http://www.lepiforum.de/lepiwiki.pl?Gymnoscelis_Rufifasciata

This site is good too http://www.ukleps.org/ScientificNamesFamilyGroups.html

As I tend to see them all year around maybe they will hatch in a few weeks. Any ideas Wendy?

Best wishes

• Great stuff H, yes they do stop eating just before pupation ... I was on that site yesterday but didn't scroll down far enough!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Day 16 for Garden Tiger larvae some of whom have been busily shedding skins (sorry for blur, water stain on lens after pond dipping session)

I counted 32!!

Named these two Eddie & Sid

Day 11 for Oak Eggars also shedding ... still 10 but one is hiding under bramble leaf

Their shed skins are long (as opposed to GT's which were scrunched up tiny balls of fluff which blew away before I could get pic!)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

You really do an amazing job Wendy.

I thought this photo would make you laugh. In fact I did wonder if it shoud be censored as it made me blush! LOL It's a male Orange Footman (I think) in a rather unusual postion advertising his assets !!

Best wishes

• Made me laugh too H ... Flasher!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Just had to throw some fresh food on top of Garden Tigers this afternoon as there are some serious changes taking place & must not disturb ...

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• They certainly look good Wendy, are they moulting?

Best wishes