Mostly Moths 2019

Well here goes, for better or worse, another year of moths. The old thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196070/mostly-moths-2018/1221500#1221500

To start us off a couple of silly ones that came to greet the first trap of the year on the night of the 1st to 2nd january. It was around 6-7°C all night & frosts ever since so I gave it a go.

A Double-striped Pug

& same one closed

& White Speck

Nothing earth-shattering, but a start!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• You mean I've had an Elephant Hawk-moth in the garden - amazing for an area of terraced houses!!!
    I don't think any of those plants are present in the garden even as weeds, so I don't know what it had been eating. Anyway, most of the weeds that I'd taken up are present on the waste ground so hopefully it will find something it likes
    Thanks

Nige   Flickr

• Am sure some of your neighbours will have fuschia growing ... yours is approx 12-14 days old & has some serious feeding to do to reach 85mm in 30 days then pupate! You could rear it!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• These are the old terraces of the industrial North. There are no gardens around here. The few newer houses that have a bit of space, like mine, just have small bare lawns (and those are seriously outnumbered by houses that only have concrete yards). Anyway, I'd already released it and chose an area with as many different plants growing next to each other as I could find so I hope something is to its taste and does well.

Nige   Flickr

• Well, it's survived & grown to a good size already so it must have found some decent food supply!
    Fuschias grow very easily in pots ... food for thought & caterpillars next year maybe?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• The weeds were fairly tall as I only take them out once or twice a year because I hate the pathetic lawn/garden and prefer the weeds! However, I can't change it as it is rented and when it comes to pot plants I couldn't even keep a dandelion alive. They'll have to survive on the wild flowers on the waste ground around the house, which I guess is what attracted the adult in the first place.

Nige   Flickr

• What a brilliant moth to have in your garden Nige and lovely photo of it too - wonder what else you will find !

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    I couldn't even keep a dandelion alive

Trying to eradicate them is most difficult Nige ... you'd need a Horticultural degree! Lol  However, they are excellent caterpillar food plants for many & the most brilliant early bee food, I love 'em!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well done on the caterpillar Nige & like your idea of weedy lawn. We let ours grow & nip the tops off in a different area each week to leave lots for the insects. In the summer it's only the weeds that keep the lawn green. A few weeks ago we had a french friend around & he had a poke around the garden & said he loved the way we left the weeds growing everywhere! Hmmm.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Diamond-back on my Sunflower? (courtesy of bird food waste!)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Two Oak Eggars have hatched 15 days after being laid ...

Another first ... this lovely flower in readiness for that very special hawk moth!!!

Also have tall white Nicotiana & Four o'clock blossoms just emerging (at 16.00 every day! Lol)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr