Mostly Moths 2019

Well here goes, for better or worse, another year of moths. The old thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196070/mostly-moths-2018/1221500#1221500

To start us off a couple of silly ones that came to greet the first trap of the year on the night of the 1st to 2nd january. It was around 6-7°C all night & frosts ever since so I gave it a go.

A Double-striped Pug

& same one closed

& White Speck

Nothing earth-shattering, but a start!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Naughty 5 spot B's! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Lol ... if they carry on like this they'll knock each other's spots off!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• One from me too!!!!    Out walking yesterday afternoon at Cemlyn headland, a lady walked over with one on her hand to show my Grandson - thought I had taken a nice photo but out of focus.......and afterwards we saw loads in flight after all the wildflowers up there and I didn't take another duh:(

Lot to learn

• WendyBartter said:
    Lol ... if they carry on like this they'll knock each other's spots off!!

LOL.

It's all spots at the moment!

I've been making the most of the good weather & doing lots of traps. I went about 50 miles to a consevation area last week & joined up with a couple of other moth girls & we had an amazing night. At the moment we've counted 190 species but more to come in yet. I've also been out in the reed beds on the marshes looking for a special one that should be around soon! I'd like to be out every night, but have to sleep some-time.

This little beauty was in the trap this morning, I'd left 2 traps in some local woods. It's new for me & quite rare. Appropiately called Triangle,

on the other hand had a few of these lately, Swallow-tailed Moth

& a real beauty, Large Emerald

Keep the burnets coming!

Best wishes

• gaynorsl said:
    thought I had taken a nice photo but out of focus..

Never mind Gaynor, we know what it is ... pleased you saw so many, I've not been to local reserve so much & miss seeing all the different moths & butterflies I don't get here!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Great to be able to share your lovely finds H as still not started moth trapping here yet ... ITM, lots of bat activity tonight, think I've located their roost, possibly a maternity one, & such a bright, light dusk tonight saw loads flying all around so very clearly ... amazing sights & sounds!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Wendy, I did another trap on the marshes last night & got in at 2am, then up at 7am as we had to go & fetch some firewood for the winter with our trailer. Well I'm not blaming the late night, but when I drove back with the load of wood, I parked as close to the storage place as possible. Ooops, I forgot that Ron had his record crop of Shallots on the concrete, drying out in the sun. Luckily only one wheel hit the pile, & OH is a very mild tempered. I ended up making Apricot chutney with next doors apricots & Rons squashed shallots. Oh dear, almost as bad as the short cut on his new trousers! LOL
    I didn't even get a great deal from the moth trap!

Best wishes

• Oh dear H, quick thinking about the chutney, saved the day! Still not run a trap yet!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• The highlight of mine last night was this Parsley Frog, not seen one in years!

Tha Apricot Chutney was an obvious choice as I'd got a bucket full of Apricots the previous day & had made jam already. I found a recipe on the internet that had onions in & substituted the shallots. It should taste OK but needs to be kept a while before eating.

Best wishes

• Couldn't find a chutney frog, then???
    Never heard of a Parsley flavoured frog but it's quite pretty

Nige   Flickr